If you are looking for an exciting leadership role in a fast moving, ambitious organisation, we encourage you to apply for our new vacancy as Head of Programmes for Street Child Nigeria. At Street Child, we believe that every child deserves the chance to go to school and learn. We have programmes in fourteen countries across sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia, priding ourselves on being willing to go to the world’s toughest places. We have been working in Nigeria since 2017, implementing major humanitarian programmes in the North East in response to the protection and education needs of children affected by the crisis.
We are seeking a highly skilled Head of Programmes to oversee the programme portfolio of Street Child Nigeria, ensuring quality programme planning and delivery. The successful candidate will have extensive experience in programme management with an excellent ability to build strong relationships with partners, donors and government institutions. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply following the steps outlined below.
Programme Management (60%)
- Work with Programme & Project Managers to ensure timely and quality delivery of activities in line with the workplan, monitoring and evaluation framework and expenditure plan
- Lead on programme reviews with managers to ensure consistency and integration across programmes
- Conduct regular programmes monitoring to identify opportunities for programme enhancement and ensure alignment with programme objectives
- Identify areas of improvement in programmes with integration of new trends, knowledge aligned with needs and gaps that might arise during implementation
- Oversee the process for timely quality programme reports in line with donor requirements
- Coordinate across projects within the country programme to ensure efficiency, value for money and integration.
Business Development (40%)
- Actively contribute to planning and delivery of internal reflection, staff retreat and strategy review
- Identify new opportunities and contribute in building strong relationships with donors and government
- Leading proposal development ensuring use of participatory methodologies
- Contributing to recruitment of key staff
- Contributing to capacity building for partners and staff
- Representation in cluster mechanisms
- Identification of opportunities to provide national visibility through strong communication strategy and representation
- Educated to Bachelor degree level or higher
- Masters degree in International Development, Human Rights or related field
Experience and Knowledge
- Extensive work experience in a program management position with progressive responsibilities for an international NGO, including demonstrable successful performance in a Head of Programming position or equivalent senior leadership role.
- Strong experience in grants management for large and complex programmes, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc., for projects funded by multiple public donors with relevant budgets
- Substantial experience with successful business development activities capturing significant public and private donor funding, including proposal coordination, proposal writing and agreement negotiation.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships.
- Substantial staff management experience, including coaching and mentoring senior program staff.
- Experience and abilities in capacity strengthening - developing curricula and facilitating trainings.
- Previous experience in North east Nigeria
- Previous experience in Humanitarian Response
- Education and / or child protection experience is strongly desirable
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent spoken and written English skills.
- Ability to build networks and effectively represent the organisation in a variety of public and private forums.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills;
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to positively influence others and successfully reconcile differences;
- A self-starter, able to work independently and to tight deadlines, with a strong results orientation and with high levels of integrity, credibility and dependability;
- An energetic team player who can effectively collaborate;
- Ability to work in international settings and with various departments to implement successful approaches to Education;
- Analytical thinker with the ability to find innovative solutions
- Ability to speak Hausa
- Position open for national (preferred) and international applicants
- Able to travel regularly, sometimes in insecure environments
Attractive benefits are included with details available on request. Please note that this role is unaccompanied and not suitable for candidates looking for a family posting.
How to apply
A completed Application Form should be submitted along with your CV by midnight on Friday 19th June 2020. Please click 'Apply' to access the contact information to submit your application.
We will review applications as they are received and reserve the right to bring forward the closing date. As this role is based in country, appropriate pre-employment checks will be required as part of our recruitment process in line with our Safeguarding Policy.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.