SumOfUs is looking for an experienced digital fundraiser and campaigner to help grow our income and help us win campaigns against corporate power. If you love raising money online to fight for change, if you are excited about global economic justice, and if you are hungry to experiment with new technology to change the world, then this is the role for you.
This role will report to the Fundraising and Campaigns Director and sits at the intersection of campaigning and fundraising. It is responsible for leveraging compelling campaigns to raise donations from members. SumOfUs is member funded, meaning we do not accept money from corporations or governments, and rely mostly on individual contributions to fund our work of holding companies accountable for their actions.
This position is full time and remote, and can be undertaken by anyone between GMT +2 hours (Western Europe / East Africa) and GMT -4 hours (East Coast Americas).
A bit about us
SumOfUs is a global movement of consumers, investors, and workers standing together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new and sustainable path for our global economy. We are a movement of more than 15 million people, brought together by a global team of 35 campaigners, fundraisers and operations staff. Our purpose is to challenge corporate power everywhere. We hold the biggest corporations in the world (and their political allies) to account by mobilising millions of people to take collective action.
We are aiming to fundamentally reshape the global economy to put people and planet over profit, but we know we can not do it alone. We build partnerships with on-the-ground activists and organisers, and we follow their lead. We innovate, experiment and embrace professional and organizational growth. We invest in people and we invest in how we work, because our vision calls on us to build the most effective, global, diverse, and talented team possible.
We highly value a diverse team and an equitable work environment where every member of our team is set up to thrive. We have taken steps to nurture this environment including an Anti-Oppression Leadership Team that leads work to transform injustice within the organization. We expect all team members to take responsibility for co-creating an equitable work community where everyone is able to do impactful, world-changing work. We offer benefits including additional sick days for parents and caregivers, flexible working hours, and professional development stipends. We review our policies and practices for equity frequently. We recruit and encourage people identifying with marginalized communities to apply.
What you will do as part of our team
- Write compelling emails that inspire our members to donate or take action. You will come up with strategic campaign tactics and compelling narratives about corporate power;
- Coordinate with campaigners on the most strategic tactics to win campaigns and build our movement;
- Work directly with fundraising team leader and deputy leader to achieve strategic objectives by leading projects including, but not limited to optimisation and team development;
- Make sure we are updating our best-practices to reflect global (and regional) trends in digital fundraising; and
- Support our team and work with contractors, including project management.
Skills and experiences you will need to bring:
We have no formal education requirements – if you can meet the responsibilities of the role and are willing to grow, that is all that matters.
All roles at SumOfUs require you to be:
- Dedicated to building a fairer and more sustainable global economy;
- An excellent communicator in written and spoken English, this is our primary working language;
- Committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace culture; and
- Able to work remotely.
And, this role in particular will require you to:
- Have experience with online fundraising, and able to run fundraising campaigns from start to finish;
- Be able to identify and develop inspiring and impactful campaigns
- Have excellent writing skills with a solid understanding of campaigning;
- Have an excellent understanding of donor behaviour and how to inspire people to donate, with good instincts for what can be viral and capture attention;
- Be keen to learn and develop new skills, and find innovative solutions to challenges; and
- Have experience supervising and mentoring staff.
We know that no one can possibly have all these skills and experiences - you will likely be able to bring 2 or 3 of the following to our team:
- Be familiar with the Avaaz/MoveOn/38 Degrees/Campact model of digital fundraising;
- Experience managing a large email list (100,000+ subscribers);
- Understand basic data analysis, ideally in a fundraising environment;
- Experience designing and running experiments and A/B tests;
- Proficiency in major world languages other than English – especially French, German or Spanish;
- From or experience working closely with communities affected by corporate power -- from indigenous communities to low-wage workers;
- Experience with market campaigns or corporate accountability issues.
How to apply
We don’t find cover letters particularly helpful in seeing the way you might fit with this job. Instead, use the form on our website to upload your resume and respond to the three questions.
Applications close 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time on June 7, 2020. Applications are only accepted through our website.
Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and where you live. (For some context: this position in New York City would pay between $66,000 and $74,000 per year and in London would pay between approximately £44,900 and £50,000 per year depending on experience and seniority; the compensation level will be adjusted in other regions based on cost of living.)
SumOfUs is a fully remote and distributed team, as such we offer stipends to offset cell phone and internet costs. We offer stipends to set-up home offices or to rent space in a coworking environment. We offer five weeks paid vacation (plus additional sick leave and all major public holidays off and 6 months paid parental leave), contributions to retirement, and the ability to work from home and work with a degree of flexibility outside our core hours of operation. We cover private health insurance premiums for employees and dependents who live in countries without public insurance. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our parental leave policies and other, similar benefits in interviews.
SumOfUs is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of SumOfUs to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants for employment and employees and not to discriminate because of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, personal appearance, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation. Equal employment opportunities will be provided in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.