Surfers Against Sewage (SAS) is a national marine conservation and campaigning charity that inspires, unites and empowers communities to take action to protect oceans, beaches, waves and wildlife. Our mission is simple: to Create Ocean Activists everywhere.
We’re dedicated to protecting the ocean and we won’t stop until it’s completely clean, safe and protected for everyone, forever.
Our projects target coastal environment issues including marine plastic pollution, water quality, climate change and coastal development.
From our headquarters in St Agnes, Cornwall, we protect beaches, monitor water quality, organise beach cleans, run educational talks, lobby government and industry, report pollution and campaign for the conservation and protection of our ocean.
Together we are the voice of the ocean, together we are #generationsea
The latest annual report and accounts can be accessed through the Charity Commission.
Our Vision is Simple…
Thriving ocean, thriving people.
This simple phrase captures everything that matters to us, not just in SAS, but humankind. It’s a mantra, a motto, a rallying cry to drive us on, with a huge collective goal to help tilt our delicate planet back on its axis. This sounds huge, but when you love what you do, and work as one, that future draws ever nearer.
Community and Values
The ever-growing SAS community believes in staying connected with the ocean. To strengthen this bond, we live by four core values, which matter deep down to us all: Open, Dynamic, Authentic and Creative.
About the Role
We are committed to saving our ocean but we have our work cut out for us. Every day, 8 million pieces of plastic pollution find their way into our ocean. Nowhere is safe and plastic pollution can now be found on every beach in the world.
We have a very successful Corporate Fundraising program, supporting our high impact projects across education, volunteering, community engagement and campaigns. This role is essential in supporting the organisation to continue delivering these award-winning projects. You’ll play a key role in our skilled and growing fundraising team.
Working closely with the Director of Fundraising, you will deliver our corporate fundraising strategy to drive income growth. A key part of the role will be to consolidate and strengthen a range of existing initiatives including our business membership scheme, project sponsors and other corporate donors.
We work with our corporate partners in a variety of ways (see below for more detail) and these general responsibilities are applicable across all
- Manage income and expenditure budgets, ensuring targets are achieved
- Monitor and ensure KPI’s are met across the corporate income streams
- Be the first point of contact for corporate / business enquires and signpost enquiries to the best way to support our work
Lead on the management and delivery of our business membership scheme (250 Club)
- Development of the 250 Club into a broader business membership scheme
- Management and administration of our existing 250 club members
- Prospecting new businesses and inspiring them to join the business membership
- Build relationships with and create communications to inspire business members to support our campaigns
Manage sponsorship partnerships
- Manage relationships and administration of our existing sponsors
- Develop and maintain an excellent understanding of our campaigns and projects to identify sponsorship opportunities
- Write high quality proposals to potential corporate sponsors
- Develop and refine project sponsorship decks
Manage and deliver various initiatives for small-medium businesses to support SAS including; Work for Good / 1 % For The Planet / Charity of the year partnerships
- Manage existing partnerships across a variety of corporate giving platforms
- Ensure all giving platforms are up-to-date with relevant key information
- Stay up-to-date with new opportunities for corporates to support our work
- Carry out prospect research for potential new business members, project sponsors and corporate donors
Corporate due diligence
- Ensure all corporate partners are assessed against our Corporate Due Diligence process
Oversee and deliver a high-quality supporter experience
- Deliver an annual networking / celebration event for our corporate supporters
- Create high quality and inspiring communications with SAS’s corporate supporters
- Provide timely reports y to corporate supporters in line with reporting requirements
- Managing corporate supporter visits to SAS head office and projects
- Support the Director of Fundraising to refine and implement the corporate fundraising strategy
Other responsibilities include
- Contribute to the formation of annual plans and budgets
- Reporting regularly on actual versus planned performance
- Providing data to budget holders for monthly forecast figures
- Understanding and supporting the vision, mission and aims of Surfers Against Sewage and speak knowledgably about the latest campaigns
- To be aware of, and act on, relevant governance responsibilities and requirements as an employee of SAS and adhere to these wherever you are working
- Maintain confidentiality in all areas of work at SAS
- Work with the broader SAS team and to perform any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the post
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to creating an inclusive, equal and diverse workplace.
You’ll be great at developing relationships and comfortable talking to people in person, on the phone and on digital platforms. We’re looking for a real all-rounder, someone who is confident to get stuck in to a variety of tasks.
The role covers lots of different elements - administration, marketing, relationship building and management. Being able to multi-task and prioritise is really important. You’ll love to plan, and have the drive to deliver against our plans. We’re a small team so you’ll need to be a creative problem solver, always looking for solutions.
You’ll have a passion for marine conservation, and will be able to translate this into a compelling case for support through written and verbal communications.
Above all, you’ll be responsible for making sure our corporate partners feel valued and connected to our work.
Knowledge and Experience
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Proven track record of successfully writing proposals for corporate support
- Experience of acting as an organisational ambassador in a range of outward facing contexts
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to prioritise and focus on identified priorities
- Strong relationship management skills
- Experience of fundraising CRMs and their functionality
- Ability to work independently
- Awareness of new Fundraising Regulatory framework
Attributes and Behaviours
- Passionate and committed to improving the marine environment
- Strong attention to detail
- A completer / finisher
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Highly competent team worker
- Discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Ability to work in a changing and flexible organisation
- Willingness to work occasional evening and weekends
How to Apply
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter explaining how your skills and experience meet the requirements of the role.
Closing Date: Sunday 6th December
Interview Date: Interviews expected to be held week commencing Monday 16th December.
Surfers Against Sewage values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.