Role: Digital Officer
Hours: 37.5 per week Monday to Friday
Holiday: 25 days per year plus Bank Holidays
Based: St Agnes, Cornwall
Probationary Period: 3 months
Reports to: Head of Communications
Benefits: Additional 1 day holiday per year after each year of service, up to 3 years / Employer pension scheme / Flexitime policy with core hours of 10.30am - 3.30pm / 24-hour employee support line / Incredible ocean location
We are Surfers Against Sewage.
A national marine conservation and campaigning charity that inspires, unites and empowers communities to take action to protect oceans, beaches, waves and wildlife. Our mission is simple: to Create Ocean Activists everywhere.
We’re dedicated to protecting the ocean and we won’t stop until it’s completely clean, safe and protected for everyone, forever. Our projects target coastal environment issues including marine plastic pollution, water quality, climate change and ocean protection.
From our headquarters in St Agnes, Cornwall, we protect beaches, monitor water quality, organise beach cleans, run educational programmes, lobby government and industry, report pollution and campaign for the conservation and protection of our ocean.
Together we are the voice of the ocean, together we are #GenerationSea
Our vision is simple: Thriving ocean, thriving people. This simple phrase captures everything that matters to us, not just in SAS, but humankind. It’s a mantra, a motto, a rallying cry to drive us on, with a huge collective goal to help tilt our delicate planet back on its axis. This sounds huge, but when you love what you do, and work as one, that future draws ever nearer.
Openness. Together, we’re passionate, down to earth campaigners, born out of the community, with a deep unrelenting love of the ocean. We believe in building diverse, inclusive and active communities.
Dynamism. We are dynamic, radical, active, energetic doers and campaigners. From the beaches to the front benches, we bring people together, empowering them to get stuck in and make real change happen.
Authenticity. We are human, doing our best. When we don’t get things right, we learn from it. We believe in authenticity. You can’t fake trust.
Creativity. We are creative and entrepreneurial. We move fast, think far and believe the future is bright. From our humble home, we make waves (of all shapes and sizes) to improve our greatest gift. A healthy ocean = a healthy society.
About the role:
We are looking for a Digital Officer to join our office in Cornwall. This role will support the Head of Comms in increasing SAS’s impact through digital marketing, with a particular focus on social media; writing engaging copy, designing graphics and editing platform-specific videos as well as helping to plan, measure and optimise digital campaigns across the organisation.
With ambitious goals for the organisation and a focus on the ocean within the climate crisis, this is an exciting time to join the Comms department as we deliver a number of crucial projects over the next few years. As our Digital Officer, your role will be both creative and strategic, as you support, collaborate with and empower various teams to deliver impactful digital campaigns. You’ll work closely with the Head of Comms to optimise our output, acting as a gatekeeper for the SAS brand on all of our digital channels. If you can inspire people to take action with a single tweet or create emotive 20-second videos, we’d love to hear from you.
- Co-ordinate and gate keep social media and digital content calendars
- Write copy for social media, website, newsletter and other digital channels
- Devise and create effective social content (video, graphics) on a day-to-day basis
- Advise and support teams on communication strategy for campaigns
- Create and develop brand-led social growth and engagement strategies
- Optimise social media channels, implementing best practice tactics
- Oversee social media and digital channel reports
- Deliver reports and recommendations to Head of Comms and internal teams
- Manage social media tools and platforms
- Act as a brand guardian, sense checking output to ensure consistency
- Respond to ad-hoc requests and any other duties that are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the post
Skills and experience:
- Proven track record of managing and growing busy social media platforms
- Familiar with the tactics and strategies that sit behind impactful social content
- Confident to work across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, TikTok and other social media platforms as well as website and email
- Proficient in writing copy with a strong eye for detail and the ability to write for multiple audience groups
- Exceptional design skills across Photoshop, PowerPoint, Canva and video editing software
- A good understanding of performance reporting, how to set benchmarks, measure against KPIs and provide recommendations for improvement
- Used to working in a fast paced, busy environment
- Prior experience within the charity sector, especially campaigning charities, is a bonus but not a necessity
- 1-3 years in a similar role
- A desire to make a positive difference for the ocean and planet
- Highly creative with a keen interest in social media growth and engagement tactics
- Excellent communication skills, internally as well as outward facing
- Self-motivated, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Not afraid to experiment, innovate and come to the table with new ideas
- Happy to get stuck in and work with the team to achieve ambitious goals
- Well organised with both a structured and agile mind-set to do what’s required
- A willingness to learn and take onboard feedback
- Ability to work independently and take initiative to solve problems
- Inspired by SAS’s mission, vision and values
- Likes to spend time near, on or in the sea
- Full, clean, UK drivers licence
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter explaining how your skills and experience meet the requirements of the role.
Closing Date: Midnight Sunday 23rd May
Interview Date: Interviews are expected to be held w/c 31st May via video call.
Surfers Against Sewage values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.