Who are we?
Surfers Against Sewage is a national marine conservation and campaigning charity dedicated to protecting the ocean and we won’t stop until it’s completely clean, safe and protected for everyone.
From our headquarters in St Agnes, Cornwall, we inspire, unite and empower communities to take action to protect oceans, beaches, waves and wildlife. Our campaigns tackle environment issues including marine plastic pollution, water quality, climate change and coastal development.
The new role:
We have exciting plans to grow unrestricted income to protect the ocean and we’re looking for a talented and motivated individual to help establish and grow our Individual Giving programme.
You’ll be joining a skilled team to grow our income and inspire new members and donors across the UK to support SAS. You’ll work on developing a broad range of digital and print communications and appeals, including our popular members’ magazine.
You’ll play an important role in developing and delivering our individual giving strategy and work closely with the wider Fundraising and Campaign teams to spot opportunities.
The role is fulltime 37.5 hours and will be based in our headquarters overlooking the sea in St Agnes, Cornwall.
We’re looking for a talented and motivated individual with experience of working in a successful fundraising or marketing team, in an acquisition or engagement role.
You will have experience of digital and print marketing tactics, copywriting and creating content to recruit, develop and retain donors or customers. You’ll have an eye for spotting opportunities and enjoy contributing to strategy.
Above all, you’ll have a passion for fundraising and the desire to work in a high performing team.
What we’re offering:
25 days per year plus Bank Holidays - and 1 additional day holiday per year after each full year of service, up to 3 years.
We’re currently piloting a new flexitime policy, so your hours can be spread around core hours of 10.30am - 3.30pm
Our office is based in an incredible location overlooking the sea and there’s a beautiful beach 5 mins walk from the office!
How to apply
Please apply online by submitting your CV and cover letter explaining why you want the role, how your skills and experience meet the requirements and what you can bring to the team.
Closing date: 10pm Monday 3rd February
Interviews expected to be held on Monday 17th February at SAS HQ in St Agnes, Cornwall.
Working closely with the Head of Individual Giving you will help develop and deliver the individual giving programme, recruiting new donors and members and create inspiring communications to engage and retain them.
- Project manage and create a number of donor and member communications and appeals across multiple channels within agreed timescales and budgets
- Work with external suppliers, including freelancers, direct marketing and telephone agencies on key campaigns to develop creative briefs and evaluate copy and artwork to ensure campaigns are delivered to brief and to a high standard
- Create engaging content for monthly email communications for members and donors
- Produce the quarterly member’s magazine, working with internal teams to source content and manage external suppliers including designers, copywriters and printers
- Manage day-to-day relationships and schedules with external suppliers to ensure appeals and communications are produced on time
- Manage the external print and fulfilment of member and donor appeals and communications, ensuring quality of service and value for money
- Collaborate and build relationships with colleagues in other teams to identify and implement cross-working opportunities and find inspiring content
- Research and implement tactics to inspire supporters, members and donors to pledge a legacy
- Develop and support membership and legacy champions among SAS’s national network of volunteers to promote membership and legacies with key stakeholders and communities
- Work with the Fundraising and Administration Officer to obtain supporter data from the CRM to inform campaign selections
- Monitor results of campaigns and identify recommendations to improve future results
- Proof copy, artwork and data, ensuring that creative is delivered to highest standard of quality
- Contribute towards the development of new, innovative approaches across the Individual Giving Team
- Keep up-to-date with developments in the fundraising sector, particularly in relation to best practice and compliance regulation and ensure these are followed on all campaigns
- Experience of working in a fundraising or marketing team
- Knowledge of Individual Giving fundraising and acquisition and retention tactics
- Able to write engaging copy and create content for a variety of audiences, in both digital and print
- Knowledge of email marketing tactics and hands on experience of using email marketing tools e.g. Campaign Monitor
- Knowledge of print and fulfilment processes
- Highly organised, with good planning and project management skills
- Ability to work in a team towards multiple deadlines
- Strong relationship building skills
- Ability to work independently and flexibly to manage competing priorities and deadline
- Ability to take initiative to solve problems
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience of using a CRM database
- Fully IT literate
- Awareness of the importance of the Data Protection Act and GDPR
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to team needs
- Inspired by SAS’s mission and vision
- Experience in a donor acquisition and/or engagement role
- Experience of monitoring results and reporting against plans and budgets
- Experience of project managing medium-large scale print and fulfilment
- Understanding and experience of data analysis
- An eye for spotting opportunities and enjoy contributing to strategy
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.