Role: Individual Giving Officer
Hours: 37.5 per week Monday to Friday
Holiday: 25 days per year plus Bank Holidays
Based: Overlooking the sea, St Agnes, Cornwall (home based until early July)
Probationary Period: 3 months
Reports to: Head of Mass Giving
Benefits: Additional 1day holiday per year after each year of service, up to 3 years / Employer pension scheme / Flexitime policy with core hours of 10.30am - 3.30pm / 24-hour employee support line / Incredible ocean location
We are Surfers Against Sewage
Surfers Against Sewage is a national marine conservation and campaigning charity that inspires, unites and empowers communities to take action to protect oceans, beaches, waves and wildlife. Our mission is simple: to Create Ocean Activists everywhere.
We’re dedicated to protecting the ocean and we won’t stop until it’s completely clean, safe and protected for everyone, forever.
Our projects target coastal environment issues including marine plastic pollution, water quality, climate change and ocean protection.
From our headquarters in St Agnes, Cornwall, we protect beaches, monitor water quality, organise beach cleans, run educational programmes, lobby government and industry, report pollution and campaign for the conservation and protection of our ocean.
Together we are the voice of the ocean, together we are #generationsea
Our vision is simple…
Thriving ocean, thriving people.
This simple phrase captures everything that matters to us, not just in SAS, but humankind. It’s a mantra, a motto, a rallying cry to drive us on, with a huge collective goal to help tilt our delicate planet back on its axis. This sounds huge, but when you love what you do, and work as one, that future draws ever nearer.
- Openness: Together, we’re passionate, down to earth campaigners, born out of the community, with a deep unrelenting love of the ocean. We believe in building diverse, inclusive and active communities.
- Dynamism: We are dynamic, radical, active, energetic doers and campaigners. From the beaches to the front benches, we bring people together, empowering them to get stuck in and make real change happen.
- Authenticity: We are human, doing our best. When we don’t get things right, we learn from it. We believe in authenticity. You can’t fake trust.
- Creativity: We are creative and entrepreneurial. We move fast, think far and believe the future is bright. From our humble home, we make waves (of all shapes and sizes) to improve our greatest gift. A healthy ocean = a healthy society.
About the Role
We are committed to saving the ocean but we have our work cut out for us. Every day 8 million pieces of plastic pollution find their way into our oceans. Nowhere is safe and plastic pollution can now be found on every beach in the world.
We have exciting plans to grow unrestricted income to give us the flexibility to best protect the ocean and we’re looking for a talented and motivated person to help grow our Individual Giving programme.
You’ll be joining a small and skilled team to grow our income and inspire new members and donors across the UK to support SAS.
Working closely with the Head of Mass Giving you will help develop and deliver the individual giving programme, recruiting new donors and members and creating inspiring communications to engage and retain them, while raising vital funds.
- Project manage and create a number of donor and member communications and appeals across multiple channels within agreed timescales and budgets
- Work with external suppliers, including freelancers, direct marketing and telephone agencies on key campaigns to develop creative briefs and evaluate copy and artwork to ensure campaigns are delivered to brief and to a high standard
- Create engaging content for monthly email communications for members and donors
- Produce the member’s magazine, working closely with the Head of Communications and internal teams to plan and source content and manage external suppliers including designers, copywriters, print and mailing houses.
- Manage day-to-day relationships and schedules with external suppliers to ensure appeals and communications are produced on time
- Manage the external print and fulfilment of member and donor appeals and communications, ensuring quality of service and value for money
- Collaborate and build relationships with colleagues in other teams to identify and implement cross-working opportunities and find inspiring content
- Create engaging social media content, particularly for Facebook and Instagram to inspire supporters to support our appeals and join as members
- Monitor results of campaigns and identify recommendations to improve future performance
- Proof copy, artwork and data, ensuring that creative is delivered to highest standard of quality
- Provide interim cover for communicating with fundraisers and promotion of community fundraising activities to our wider supporter base
- Contribute towards the development of new, innovative approaches across the Individual Giving Team
- Keep up-to-date with developments in the fundraising sector, particularly in relation to best practice and compliance regulation and ensure these are followed on all campaigns
We’re looking for a creative and motivated individual with experience of working in a marketing or fundraising role.
You will have experience online marketing tactics, copywriting and creating content to recruit, develop and retain customers or supporters.
Above all, you’ll have a passion for direct marketing and the desire to work in a high performing team.
- Experience of working in a marketing or fundraising role
- Knowledge of digital direct marketing techniques
- Able to write engaging copy and create content for a variety of audiences
- Knowledge of email marketing tactics and hands on experience of using email marketing tools e.g. Campaign Monitor
- Experience of creating social media content
- Ability to use content creation tools e.g. Canva
- Highly organised, with good planning and project management skills
- Ability to work in a team towards multiple deadlines
- Strong relationship building skills
- Ability to work independently and flexibly to manage competing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to take initiative to solve problems
- Strong attention to detail
- Highly computer literate
- Awareness of the importance of the Data Protection Act and GDPR
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to team needs
- Inspired by SAS’s mission and vision
- Full, clean, UK driver’s licence
- Experience in a donor or customer acquisition
- Experience of monitoring results and reporting against plans and budgets
- Experiencing in a fundraising role
- Understanding and experience of data analysis
- An eye for spotting opportunities and enjoy contributing to strategy
How to Apply
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter explaining why you want the role, how your skills and experience meet the requirements and what you can bring to the team.
Closing Date: 10pm Thursday 20th May
Interview Date: Interviews expected to be held w/c 31st May via video call
Surfers Against Sewage values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.