Background to the Role
Suzy Lamplugh Trust is the UK’s personal safety charity which was set up in 1986 following the disappearance of Suzy Lamplugh, a young estate agent, while she was at work. For over 30 years, the Trust has championed personal safety as a life skill and a public policy priority.
The Trust currently earns significant income from the sale of personal safety and lone working training and consultancy. In addition, it raises funds to campaign and run its services, the largest of which is the National Stalking Helpline, which the Trust has run since its launch in 2010.
Over the last three years, we have enjoyed considerable growth in our restricted grants, particularly for our work on stalking. We want to sustain that growth and diversify our income, particularly from unrestricted sources. We are looking for an experienced and talented fundraising officer who can develop and execute an effective fundraising strategy to deliver growth across a wide range of existing and new income streams.
You will have the proven ability to research and develop winning fundraising applications, support fundraising events and develop and maintain positive relationships with donors. A natural multi-tasker, you will have the flexibility to manage a varied workload, juggling responsibility for meeting bid deadlines, ensuring delivery of fundraising events and reporting to funders. With attention to detail and excellent written and verbal presentation, you will also have the negotiation and project management skills to co-ordinate the production of complex bids and budgets.
Overall Purpose of Role
- To manage and deliver all fundraising activities for Suzy Lamplugh Trust, securing funds from a range of sources including charitable trusts, government departments, sponsored events and individuals
- To research, develop and deliver an integrated fundraising strategy for the Trust, delivering growth over the next three years and beyond
- To act as a key, externally-facing member of the Suzy Lamplugh Trust team, deputising for the head of business development generation as required
Main Fundraising Activities
- Research prospective funders, donors and sponsors and work closely with colleagues in the policy & development and finance departments to develop effective bids and applications for funds to support the work of the Trust
- Devise and deliver national fundraising campaigns to generate income for the Trust
- Deliver specific fundraising events to achieve income and profit targets, with support from the wider commercial team
- Develop and grow the supporter base, working closely with Suzy Lamplugh Trust members and trustees to increase support at grass-roots level
- Collaborate with internal colleagues and partner agencies to ensure correct data is captured on funded activities
- Produce timely and accurate reports to trusts and commissioning bodies in accordance with the terms of grants or contracts held
- Manage reports on all income raised, maintain accurate and detailed income records and report and manage the fundraising database
Planning and Strategy
- With the head of business development, develop and implement a sustainable fundraising strategy for Suzy Lamplugh Trust, ensuring it supports and contributes to the organisation’s strategic plan
- Remain abreast of fundraising standards, trends and best practice, taking responsibility for maintaining own learning and attending training as required
- Report to, and work closely with, the head of business development to ensure that he/she is always fully up to date with fundraising progress
Internal and External Relationship Management
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with funders and donors, keeping accurate and up-to-date records of all communication and applying robust account management
- Drawing on internal administrative support as required, ensure the Trust is corresponding regularly with supporters and that all gifts are responded to in a timely and appropriate manner
- Train and lead other staff, trustees and volunteers to support fundraising, supporting colleagues at all levels to pursue fundraising opportunities where they own relationships with potential donors or sponsors
- Represent the organisation at external forums and events, building relationships that will enhance our fundraising capacity
- Attend and participate in team meetings and strategic planning meetings
Person Specification (‘s’ indicates shortlisting criteria)
Skills and Abilities
- Proven track record of delivering against set income targets (s)
- Excellent verbal and written communication (s)
- Understanding of fundraising methods and the role of fundraising within a small charity (s), as well as good working knowledge of fundraising techniques
- Collaboration and teamwork: proven ability to work collegiately with colleagues from a range of disciplines (s)
- Convincing presentation and negotiation skills
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills
- High levels of financial and numerical literacy
- IT proficiency – Word and Excel
- Ability to create, implement and develop a fundraising strategy
- At least two years’ experience in a fundraising role, and significant experience of fundraising from trusts and foundations (s)
- Stewardship of clients from initial contact through to long-term partnerships (s)
- Researching and writing successful proposals or bids (s)
- Use of client relationship management databases (s)
- Designing and delivering presentations to prospective clients or donors
- Committed to the aims and values of Suzy Lamplugh Trust: we expect all staff to uphold and reflect the ethos of the Trust in all their work
- Hardworking: as a small charity, our success depends on the hard work of all our people
- Creative and resourceful: in a tough economic climate, we need to find new ways of raising money and generating income
- Practical: as part of a small team, the fundraising officer will need to be ready to be ‘hands on’
- Reliable: this is a critical post with responsibility for ensuring the delivery of all the Trust’s fundraising income; the post holder will also be expected to deputise for the head of business development as required
- Approachable: an open, friendly approach is critical to the team spirit of our small staff
- Flexible: the post holder will need to be willing to travel and work unsocial hours on occasion and to deal with external stakeholders
PLEASE NOTE APPLICATIONS CLOSE AT 11PM ON SUNDAY 19TH APRIL 2020
INTERVIEWS WILL BE HELD ON TUESDAY 28th April 2020
YOUR COVER LETTER MUST OUTLINE HOW YOU QUALIFY FOR THE SHORTLISTING CRITERIA MARKED (S) UNDER PERSON SPECIFICATIONS.
CVs WITHOUT A COVER LETTER WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.