Background to the role:
Suzy Lamplugh Trust is the UK’s pioneering personal safety charity and leading stalking authority, established in 1986 following the disappearance of 25-year-old Suzy Lamplugh whilst at work. We work towards creating a society in which people are safer - and feel safer - from the prevalence of stalking, harassment, aggression and violence, achieved through supporting people; education; and campaigning.
Over the last two years, the Trust’s policy and development function has continued to develop and deliver hard hitting campaigns and projects. In addition to our personal safety and stalking training, we are now delivering more bespoke consultancy services to organisations, in order to improve personal safety in the workplace, which we hope to continue to grow in the coming years. The Trust’s policy function also continues to deliver personal safety projects to small charities and communities at risk of violence and aggression, such as young people facing homelessness.
Building on the success of our annual National Personal Safety Day campaigns, National Stalking Awareness Week and leadership of the National Stalking Consortium, we have secured a further three-year grant from the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation to accelerate our campaigning on stalking. We have also identified a need to build up our evidence base on broader personal safety issues in order to increase our campaigning on personal safety at work, safer transport and online safety.
We are looking for an ambitious, dynamic leader to lead this team and ensure that its work has maximum impact and is embedded into the core output of the charity.
Overall purpose of role:
- To lead and develop Suzy Lamplugh Trust’s work in research, policy, campaigns and community development, ensuring the delivery of key, strategic projects
- To promote the work of Suzy Lamplugh Trust including the National Stalking Helpline and advocacy services, strengthening our voice as an authority on stalking and personal safety - both at work and in everyday life
- To be a key part of the Trust’s leadership team, deputising for the Chief Executive as required
To apply, please submit your CV and covering letter. Note: Applications without a covering letter will not be considered.
If you do not receive a response within 3 weeks of the closing date, please assume that on this occasion your application has not been successful.
Policy, research, campaigns and communications
- Maintain a robust understanding of the external policy environment, ensuring that the Trust is able to respond to emerging trends and needs as appropriate
- Lead the development of robust, innovative policy positions around personal safety and stalking, commissioning research as required
- Develop and implement influencing strategies to deliver on Suzy Lamplugh Trust’s policy priorities, establishing and maintaining strategic relationships with key decision makers and policy makers
- Lead on the co-ordination of responses to policy consultations, representing Suzy Lamplugh Trust at external meetings with funders, senior stakeholders, influencers and decision-makers
- Lead the planning and delivery of Suzy Lamplugh Trust’s campaigning strategy including identifying and steering individual campaigns
- Lead the development and implementation of an organisational communications strategy, including digital communications, which both promotes and safeguards the organisation
- Ensure that the Chief Executive and other Suzy Lamplugh Trust colleagues are appropriately briefed to represent the organisation’s position on a range of policy issues
- Identify opportunities for new partnerships, services, and influencing opportunities that will strengthen the Trust’s voice and expand its reach
- Act as a key Suzy Lamplugh Trust spokesperson to media at both a local and national level
- Work closely with the chief executive and other members of the leadership team to plan and implement strategies for the Trust’s community development offer
- Work with the commercial and finance teams to develop and implement financially sustainable new projects, including policy support to organisations implementing Suzy’s Charter on Workplace Safety.
- Ensure that timely information is provided to support the development of funding bids and any reports to funders on activities delivered
Management and leadership
- Lead a team of staff and volunteers and manage support from external consultants on policy topics
- Represent the policy and development team on the leadership team
- Deputise for the Chief Executive, internally and externally, as required, including with the media
- Manage projects and budgets for the policy team and restricted projects within the policy remit, ensuring all service responsibilities and project deliverables are met within approved budget.
- Engage with Trustees via the Policy Sub-committee
(‘s’ denotes shortlisting criteria which must be addressed in covering letter)
Skills and abilities
- Demonstrable ability to synthesise large amounts of complex information into accurate, persuasive arguments
- Proven analytical, research and problem-solving skills (s)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills(s)
- Convincing influencing and negotiation skills with people at all levels
- Understanding of the policy contexts in which Suzy Lamplugh Trust operates
- Ability to inspire a team to strive for challenging goals
- Proven ability to coach and support others while delivering testing personal objectives, interpreting organisational targets into clearly communicated work plans
- Proven ability to work together with other senior leaders
- Ability to represent the Trust externally and deputise for the Chief Executive as required
- Ability to lead effective and engaging meetings
- Ability to create and monitor robust project plans, managing timescales, risks and budgets and taking mitigating action where necessary (s)
- Understanding of the financial constraints of working in a small charity, and funding mechanisms within the sector, with proven ability to manage budgets
- Significant experience of gender-based violence policy (s)
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in a leadership position, operating at a strategic level and contributing to strategy development and delivery(s)
- Experience of policy work developing and implementing campaigns with a proven track record of success in influencing public policy (s)
- Representing an organisation to senior external stakeholders, including government and the media, with good understanding of parliamentary processes and structures (s)
- Developing policy positions and providing briefings to senior leaders to represent the organisation on key issues (s)
- Developing and managing services to people in challenging circumstances
- Change and crisis management (s)
- Designing and contributing to successful funding proposals or bids and reporting back to funders (s)
- Line management including setting targets and appraising individuals’ performance (s)
- Leading campaigns promoting positive behaviour change
- Designing and delivering new projects for commercial development and / or social enterprises (s)
- Committed to the aims and values of Suzy Lamplugh Trust: we expect all staff to uphold and reflect the ethos of Suzy Lamplugh Trust in all their work
- Ambitious: with responsibility for growing the organisation’s work in a number of key areas, you will be motivated to enable the Trust to compete as a significant policy voice
- Authoritative: you will be expected to deputise for the chief executive as required
- Results-driven: the head of policy and development will provide strategic direction to the team to ensure that campaigns have maximum impact
- Approachable: as a senior representative of the organisation, you will need to be able to communicate effectively with a range of key stakeholders to get them on board
- Adaptable: you will need to be willing to take on tasks beyond the immediate scope of your job description from time to time including travel and occasional overnight stays
- Resilient: able to operate within tight deadlines, in a changing environment
- Visionary: as part of the leadership team, your ideas will help to shape the organisation’s strategic plan
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.