Background: Suzy Lamplugh Trust is the UK’s pioneering personal safety charity and leading stalking authority, established in 1986 following the disappearance of 25-year-old Suzy Lamplugh whilst at work. We work towards creating a society in which people are safer - and feel safer - from the prevalence of stalking, harassment, aggression and violence, achieved through Supporting people; Education; and Campaigning. Our stalking helpline advice and advocacy service offers support and advice to thousands of victims of stalking every year. Caseworkers advocate on victims’ behalf with police, social services and other statutory or victim support agencies.
Overall purpose of role:
The overall purpose of the role is to provide expert advice and advocacy to victims of stalking.
- To give guidance and information by telephone, email and face to face to those affected by stalking.
- To provide casework support and advocacy to victims of stalking, liaising with both voluntary and statutory services to ensure positive outcomes for victims.
- To lead on the progression of the Helpline’s volunteering model, including the recruitment, training, and supervision of volunteers.
- To provide support and guidance to volunteers where necessary.
- To support the Stalking Support Team Leader and Helpline Manager where required.
Stalking Advocates will have the opportunity to be considered to participate in intensive training on trauma-led advocacy support. Selection for this training programme is expected to take place mid-2020.
Please note: Applications without a covering letter will not be considered.
If you do not receive a response within 3 weeks of the closing date, please assume that on this occasion your application has not been successful.
Duties and responsibilities:
1. To respond as quickly and efficiently as possible to requests for help, which may be received via email or telephone, giving appropriate guidance to victims of stalking
2. To deliver robust risk assessment and safety planning for clients, along with advice and information regarding stalking legislation
3. To manage a caseload and provide expert advocacy support to victims of stalking - including carrying out initial assessments, risk assessments, devising support plans and liaising with appropriate agencies
4. To deliver client work which adheres to high service standards, ensuring compliance with all policies and procedures
5. To keep and maintain accurate and confidential records of all work undertaken
6. To identify and maintain appropriate boundaries for all enquiries and recognise when and where to signpost enquirers for further help/information as appropriate.
7. To proactively continue to develop appropriate knowledge, attitudes and skills through regular reading of information and attending training courses.
8. To support the training of advocates and sessional staff as required
9. To assist volunteers with complex helpline enquiries
1. To lead in the continuous development and implementation of the Helpline’s volunteering model, including generating new opportunities and innovative practice
2. To lead in the recruitment, training, supervision, and celebration of volunteering within the organisation; including creating role descriptions, writing and delivering training, and organising rotas
3. In conjunction with the Stalking Support Team Leader and Helpline Manager, to manage the volunteering budget
4. To monitor and evaluate volunteering activities and contribute to reports for funders and trustees
5. To seek support and information from other organisations to continually improve practice
1. To attend supervision meetings and appraisals.
2. To attend case management and training sessions for staff and actively contribute to these meetings.
3. To attend and participate in team meetings and strategic away days.
4. To deliver training on stalking and/or personal safety as required.
5. To undertake any other appropriate duties as requested by the Helpline Manager or Stalking Support Team Leader.
6. To work at all times within the policies and procedures of Suzy Lamplugh Trust.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.