Synchronicity Earth is an enterprising charity with an ambitious vision: An Earth in which all life is valued, celebrated and flourishing. We act to address overlooked and underfunded conservation challenges for globally threatened species and ecosystems through research-led funding of partners who are working to deliver conservation and biodiversity outcomes. Synchronicity Earth currently funds work that is categorised in a set of programmes including: Amphibians, Asian Species, Congo Basin, Freshwater, Marine, Flourishing Diversity and Regeneration. We also run a series of engagement activities from convening ‘Deeper Thinking’ discussions on new ways of thinking about the conservation and biodiversity challenges; to hosting events showcasing the work of our partners to our wide-ranging audiences.
Our funding model is unique. Our in-house team of conservation experts make up the ‘Research Team’ and they work to build the programmatic portfolios of partners who are undertaking conservation work in those areas that most critically need support. Synchronicity Earth builds long-lasting relationships with these organisations and our ambition is to support them to grow and strengthen their capacity over time, to deliver increased impact.
Once these projects and partners have been identified, we use secure funds from external donors who trust our science-led analysis and wish to fund our strategies. Our due diligence process on potential partners is rigorous and as part of this we identify both core and programmatic needs, representing these needs as part of the ‘fundraising’ process. In addition to managing the grant paperwork, we work with the partners and grantees to prepare, and deliver, progress and impact reports to the donors.
Synchronicity Earth’s income is growing in the number and size of donations received. This means we have been able to increase our grant giving and increase the number of partners we are supporting.
It is an exciting time to join the organisation. We are establishing a new position – Head of Philanthropy – to join us to support our increasing collaborations with donors and our increased income growth through building internal systems and processes to manage the donor and grantee pipeline.
The Head of Philanthropy will be centrally situated in the organisation, working with the Research, Finance, Operations and Communications teams as well as the Chief Executive Officer and Trustees. It will play a central and key role in increasing donor income, processing and disbursing this out to partners, and ensuring timely impact and progress reports are produced.
This newly created role, will work with the CEO to develop and drive forward a donor income strategy, identifying opportunities for collaboration with donors as well as managing and overseeing the pipeline and processes. You will build the infrastructure for a Philanthropy team and following on from successfully increasing funding, have the opportunity to utilise resources to grow this team.
Specific responsibilities will include the following:
- Work with the CEO to develop the organisation’s philanthropy strategy; and integrate this with the wider organisational 3-5 year strategy
- Work with the Heads of Programmes to match donor pipeline and strategy with programmatic strategy; and the Head of Finance & Risk to match the pipeline with partner financial needs
- Develop and drive forward the donor engagement strategy, supporting the CEO and Trustees.
Cultivation and stewardship
- Create, manage and oversee the pipeline process to ensure effective cultivation and stewarding of donors
- Work with the Research team to produce successful proposals; and produce impact and progress reports for donors
- Work with the Communications and Engagement teams to identify opportunities for cultivation and stewardship events; and work with the Head of Relationships & Operations to curate and manage those
- Identify and target relevant events for the CEO and Trustees to attend for pipeline cultivation
Systems and processes
- Work with the Head of Relationships & Operations to build on existing systems and processes in the organisation to develop an integrated and coherent system and process for donor pipeline management and management of grantee funding
- Manage and oversee all paperwork for both donors and grantees
Internal and external relationship management
- Work with all Synchronicity Earth’s teams to ensure effective and efficient information flow relating to donor management and grantee partnerships
- Build relationships with new donors, including but not limited to, the corporate sector and individual donors through providing a high-quality cultivation and stewardship service
- Oversee the management of relationships of existing donors across the portfolio
Skills and experience required:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- At least 7 years’ experience in development roles for the charity sector
- Ability to develop donor engagement and income strategies and embedding these with organisations
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and diplomacy skills
- Ability to write high-quality content for donors and proven track record of successful funding bids
- Experience and success building and maintaining fundraising pipelines; as well as managing grant and other donor paperwork
- Experience in working with a diverse range of audiences, particularly high net-worth individuals and corporate giving
- Experience and success in building and maintaining a range of databases and online systems and processes
- Demonstratable understanding and passion for nature
Desired skills, experience and work behaviours:
- Training or qualification in fundraising content
- Track record of working in the environment or conservation sector
- Experience of working with key internal and external partners to build relationships
- Other languages (French, Spanish)
- Flexible, team-oriented focus and adaptability to changing situations
- Strong problem-solving skills and innovative thinking
Reporting, location and work hours:
The position will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer (based in London, UK). This position would normally be based in the Synchronicity Earth offices in Central London. At the time of recruitment, Synchronicity Earth staff are working remotely as a consequence of the lockdown measures being in place. This is under constant review and a return to the office is anticipated in line with advice and latest science and health information.
The successful candidate must be already eligible to work in the UK. The role will require infrequent travel in the UK and potentially overseas.
Salary: Competitive, plus benefits, dependent on relevant skills and experience.
Application Timing: Position to be filled asap
Closing date for applications: 17th August 2020
Expected interview Dates: 24th August 2020
Contact details: Applications should be sent via email and addressed FAO Kirsty Schneeberger
Information required: Applications should include a letter outlining why the applicant has the skills and experience necessary for the role as well as a full CV.
Synchronicity Earth - Our workplace values and culture
We pride ourselves on having an open and inclusive culture within our workplace, from our London office to the remote workplace. Our team supports each other and encourages new ideas and creativity to help us develop new projects and reach new audiences with our work. We aim to apply the same dedication to a flourishing diversity of people and wildlife on our planet through our work to our working environment and strive to make our working environment open and inclusive for everyone. You are also welcome to contact us if you have any accessibility requirements regarding the application process or the role itself.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.