We are searching for a dynamic and resourceful Head of Operations to oversee the scale-up of our organisation. The ideal candidate will have both an eye for detail and a broader strategic perspective, and be comfortable taking responsibility for a wide range of areas.
We believe every young person deserves the support they need to flourish, regardless of background. We are an organisation that specialises in delivering high-quality tuition to disadvantaged young people. We are in the middle of an exciting growth journey. Since 2019 we have double the number of students we work with year-on-year for two years in a row, to over 1,000 students in 2020-21. We were selected as one of only 33 organisations nationwide to deliver the government's flagship National Tutoring Programme.
About the role
As we scale, so we also need to grow our senior team. The Head of Ops will play a critical role in leading our scale-up, with direct oversight of our internal operations including areas such as Finance, HR, IT, and special projects.
Importantly, the Head of Ops will take responsibility for ensuring our organisation is efficient and effective, particularly in our use of technology and digital tools. This will be a key pillar on which our future success depends.
You will also line manage our Insights & Engagement Officer, and be supported in various areas by one of our Programme Officers (e.g. with aspects of Finance and HR).
Finally, the Head of Ops will form part of the Senior Management Team of TalentEd, involved in key strategic decision-making, engaging with the board of trustees, and deputising for the CEO as needed. You will be a key voice in discussions around how and where we aim to grow in years to come.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic, fast-paced team, and so aspects of the job description will evolve. A key attribute we are looking for is the ability to adapt and take on new challenges as they arise. The following list is not exhaustive, but should give a good indication of the responsibilities of the role:
- Work closely with the CEO to develop and execute short-term priorities and long-term strategy.
- Streamline our internal operations, with particular focus on our use of digital tools/software and associated processes.
- Line Manage our Insights and Engagement Officer, ensuring they are happy, challenged, and working effectively.
- Lead on ad hoc special projects, for example our Nesta-funded digital development project to enhance the impact of our tuition (read about it here).
- Oversee our finance function, including budgeting, reporting to the board finance committee, payroll, tutor payments, and invoicing.
- Take responsibility for TalentEd’s HR, including our approach to recruitment and new staff onboarding, staff professional development, and shaping our team culture.