The Finance and Operations Assistant will be part of the operations team at the Tax Justice Network which is led by the Director, Operations & Communications and includes the Finance Manager, who this post will report into, Operations Manager and Project Manager. The team lead and deliver on a range of operational services from financial management, risk management, project management, event management, Human Resources, IT systems and other enabling functions.
The two primary functions of the role (and the focus of each one of the roles if split) will be to support the financial management of the organisation by processing and reconciling financial records and running payroll, and to support the operational functions by administrating our human resource systems, recruitment processes and annual leave processes. All aspects of the role will focus on ensuring documents and records are accurate and appropriately electronically filed.
The operations team is a busy team in a fast moving and agile organisation. Therefore you need to be someone who is a problem solver and top multi-tasker who enjoys getting stuck into projects. You will need to masterfully juggle tasks and activities, anticipate what needs to be done and be proactive in pursuit of top quality operational support delivery. Due to the nature of the work we need someone who has an exceptional eye for detail, is driven by and excels in being accurate and ensuring tasks are complete and followed up as necessary.
The Tax Justice Network is a virtual organisation with all the team working remotely. You therefore need to be self-motivated and comfortable working alone, and alongside being thorough, diligent and independent you should have strength and confidence to judge when to reach out to colleagues to assist and support.
We are flexible on where the postholder is located, though ideally within the UK or one of the countries we have employment contracting arrangements which would include France, Germany and Spain. As mentioned above we are willing to consider splitting the role into two part-time posts or two part-time people job sharing as well as 1 person filling the role full time. We are also flexible about the working hours as long as the hours worked are spread over at least three days per week.
- Processing of all purchase invoices and expenses, including confirming authorisation, correct allocation to budget lines/tracking categories, preparing payment runs and ensuring proper record keeping throughout
- Processing the monthly UK payroll and liaising with non-UK payroll agents, maintaining record keeping and assisting with related accounting procedures
- Providing first line response to day to day finance queries, escalating or asking for input as required
- Administration relating to online donations and where applicable online sales (eg for ticketed events), including reconciling donor reporting between systems
- Preparing funder specific reporting, maintaining any funder required audit trails and assisting with project audits where required
- Undertaking monthly bank reconciliations of multiple bank accounts and assisting with other reconciliations and month end duties as required
Operations (including Human Resources)
- Supporting and administrating recruitment processes
- Ensuring staff HR records are up to date and accurate
- Administering the annual leave and absence systems
- Ensuring staff timesheets are maintained and authorised in a timely fashion
- Supporting the Operations Manager with the administration of events, both virtual and in person
- Assisting with team travel bookings/planning
- Providing project assistance to teams across the organisation, including project administration tasks as required
- Being knowledgeable about all internal operational systems, providing administration where required and supporting colleagues in their use of such systems
- Assisting with policy related administration as required, and ensuring compliance with organisational policies at all times
General (applicable to both posts if split)
- Maintaining effective communication and a collaborative approach, ensuring that all relevant information is shared with relevant staff
- Provide general support as required – you may be asked to jump onto other work where it’s needed
- Understanding and working towards individual, team and organisational objectives
Skills and experience
- Experience working in a similar finance and/or operational role
- Experience of undertaking fast-paced and varied administrative tasks
- Being able to demonstrate with experience a keen eye for detail and a thorough and methodical approach
- Strong IT skills with at least intermediate knowledge and experience of Microsoft Office 365 suite and preferably skills and experience of Airtable
- Ability to communicate effectively, accurately and succinctly in English, in writing and verbally
- For applications including the Finance responsibilities only:
- A knowledge of how finance transaction coding structures work and an understanding of double entry bookkeeping
- Experience of implementing systems and processes
- Highly competent in working with a variety of cloud-based platforms: Airtable, Xero, SharePoint, Slack, Zoom, Wordpress
- For applications including the Finance responsibilities only:
- Experience of working in a not-for-profit and within a small to medium sized organisation
- Experience of working with restricted funding grants
- Experience of working with multi-currency transactions
- Knowledge of payroll processing, including an understanding of withholding tax, social security and pension contributions
- Holding or working towards a finance qualification such as AAT
- Ability to work independently, and comfortable working with a fully remote team
- Highly organised with excellent time management, forward planning and prioritisation
- A proactive and calm problem solver
- Comfortable working at times under pressure and to regular deadlines
- Can work cooperatively and collaboratively both as part of a team and when engaging with external partners
- Open to feedback and review with the ability to adapt work and working style accordingly
- Commitment to own professional development
- Passion for tax justice and international development issues
HOW TO APPLY
Please upload a CV (resume) and answer a set of questions addressing some of the skills and attributes listed along with your motivation for applying using the link provided by 09:00 GMT+1 on Wednesday 6 July 2022. Please apply in English.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.