Job Title: Business Development Manager
Start Date: October / November 2020
Duration of work: Full time
Salary: £30,000-£32,000 per annum
Job Description: Temwa is looking for a Business Development Manager to provide leadership and growth to the fundraising department in our charity. The successful candidate will need to be experienced, confident and honest, with a passion for international development.
The Business Development Manager’s specific role will include: managing expansion of corporate fundraising in particular through the Carbon Balance Programme; overseeing the team who manage the fundraising activities; day-to-day management of the UK fundraising office; creating an updated fundraising strategy; planning & forecasting fundraising activities; oversight of the team managing communications, marketing & promotion of fundraising activities, supporting them with information for PR & marketing; and growing & developing the current fundraising programme;
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional to use their expertise and entrepreneurial spirit to expand the income for a dynamic and growing international development charity, as well as to grow the profile of an innovative organisation working in Northern Malawi.
Lead the fundraising strategy
- Lead the development, implementation, monitoring and review of Temwa’s fundraising strategy, therefore ensuring targets are achieved.
- Report to the Board of Trustees on progress against the Fundraising Strategy.
- Ensure alignment of the fundraising strategy matches with the communications and marketing strategy.
- Act as the organisational expert on all income generation, supporting the team to expand all relevant fundraising streams in the long term.
- Ensure that all income generation is undertaken in an effective and efficient way, maximising the return on investment to the charity.
- Champion best practice, ensuring that all legal standards and best practice compliance standards are not only met but exceeded throughout all fundraising and marketing activities.
- Work closely with UK Programme Quality Advisor and Programmes Manager in Malawi to ensure alignment of income generation activities with community needs
Lead on donor relations:
- Play an active role with the charity’s most significant supporters, ensuring that excellent relationships are cultivated and maintained and effective asks are made, ultimately maximising income.
- Keep oversight of current key donors and their specific requirements.
- Manage donor relations and communication together with the Managing Director, Programmes Quality Advisor and UK fundraising team.
- Contribute to donor reporting, circulate donor reports, and collaborate with Programmes Quality Advisor to ensure programmes yield donor-relevant impacts.
- Ensure that the team is effectively managing the donor journey for all contacts in Temwa.
Providing leadership to and managing the fundraising team:
- Develop, coach, inspire and motivate the team to deliver their objectives and develop their own skills and expertise in their roles, providing ongoing guidance and support for the team.
- Hold regular one-to-ones with direct line reports, ensuring effective performance management of the entire team, with a robust and timely system of appraisals and performance management.
- Ensure every member of the team has clear work plans, understands their objectives and works in a focused way.
- Advertise for and recruit key fundraising team members when needed.
- Support the fundraising team to ensure that they are designing and managing effective marketing and communications that support the fundraising efforts.
- Communicate effectively, both internally and externally, ensuring a flow of communication across the organisation, sharing information, success and good practice.
- Adhere to best practice within income generation and embed a culture of learning within the organisation.
Managing expansion of corporate sponsorship:
- Develop and implement a strategy for increasing corporate fundraising through the Temwa Carbon Balance scheme programme (See Temwa Carbon Balance page on our website) (as part of wider fundraising strategy)
- Grow and& develop SME and corporate partners for Temwa, with support from the Managing Director.
- Act as a key external spokesperson, and play an active role in building the organisation’s profile locally and nationally.
- Make sure the strategy is followed, to ensure increased income in this area.
Managing expansion of individual giving:
- Develop and implement a strategy for increasing individual giving, (as part of wider fundraising strategy)
- Manage individual giving campaigns and online activity with support for the fundraising team.
- Devise a project schedule, researching relevant media, data and financial information.
- Source individual stories and images, briefing internal and external teams and writing copy where necessary.
Growing income streams:
- Develop, manage and evaluate comprehensive budgets which provide performance information for the Senior Management Team and Trustees, ensuring there is shared ownership of budgets within fundraising team.
- Research and develop business cases for new areas of income generation aimed to drive sustainability of income both within current fundraising streams and beyond.
- Manage the implementation of new income generation projects and evaluate their effectiveness.
- Work with senior colleagues to ensure that the charity can reach all key audiences to successfully achieve its strategic goals.
- Ensure all parts of the organisation understand income generation and fundraising.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, play an active and integral role in updating the organisation’s strategic plan and helping to shape the future direction of the charity.
Policies and& Procedures:
- Work on relevant policies for the organisation.
- Look at systems used and suggest improvements.
- Create procedures that will improve the efficiency of all our fundraising activities.
Experience, qualifications and requirements:
- Experience of working in a senior fundraising role
- Certificate or diploma from IoF essential
- Demonstrable track record of setting and achieving fundraising income targets
- Experience of leading a team to achieve an organisational goal
- Experience of working within small and large NGOs or charities
- Ability to write compelling bids/business cases and reports
- Excellent written and communication skills essential
- Experience of leading the development and implementation of a fundraising strategy
- An understanding of trust and institutional fundraising
- Experience of leading and managing fundraising departments
- Experience of working within an international development charity
- Experience of marketing and communications desirable
- Experience of working with websites desirable
Our goal at Temwa is to harness the power of bringing communities together. We partner with communities in Malawi, empowering local people to end poverty and transform their own futures. We inspire local communities in the UK to help bring about this change. When communities come together. Temwa means ‘love, within a community,’ in the language of Tumbuka. We are Bristol based charity committed to empowering remote African communities to end poverty and transform their own futures.
We know that without the central involvement of the communities in a project we cannot do anything that lasts. Temwa draws on 17 years working with remote communities in Malawi to understand that many of the challenges faced by poor rural communities are linked and mutually reinforcing. To make a lasting change, we partner with the communities and work through local structures to tackle the various causes of poverty simultaneously, not just symptoms.
We have a highly skilled team of 24 full time employees in Malawi implementing this work, based out of two offices in the Northern Region. Our UK office, based in Bristol, comprises a small fundraising and operations team of five staff (three are part time, two are full time), 1-3 volunteer interns and a wider family of volunteers and supporters, committed to achieving this goal.
To apply, please send a CV (2 page maximum) and covering letter (2 page maximum)
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.