Events Coordinator (Part-Time)
Our goal at Temwa is to harness the power of bringing communities together. We partner with communities in Malawi, empowering local people to end poverty and transform their own futures. We inspire local communities in the UK to help bring about this change.
From producing the live shows for sporting challenge events to Temwa’s Christmas Party to thought leadership Carbon Balance events, you will be responsible for delivering a programme of special fundraising events to engage and inspire new and existing temwa supporters .
Location: Temwa UK offices, Portland Square, central Bristol
Application Deadline: Monday 23rd March
Expected Interview Date: w/c 6th April
Expected Start Date: Early May
Salary: 21,000 - 23,100 Per Annum (Pro Rata, two days a week)
Please note the upper end of the band will only be considered for very experienced candidates.
The position entails work at events and may include some UK and overseas travel. Working hours will vary and will sometimes include evenings and weekends (TOIL will be provided).
When communities come together. Temwa means ‘love, within a community,’ in the language of Tumbuka. We are a Bristol based charity committed to empowering remote African communities to end poverty and transform their own futures.
We know that without the central involvement of the communities in a project we cannot do anything that lasts. Temwa draws on 17 years of working with remote communities in Malawi to understand that many of the challenges faced by poor rural communities are linked and mutually reinforcing. To make a lasting change, we partner with the communities and work through local structures to tackle the various causes of poverty simultaneously, not just symptoms.
We have a highly skilled team in Malawi implementing this work, based out of two offices in the Northern Region. Our UK office, based in Bristol, comprises a small fundraising and operations team of six staff, 3-5 volunteer interns and a wider family of volunteers and supporters, committed to achieving this goal.
As the Events Coordinator, you will be passionate about creating experiences that inspire people and build long-last memories. Supported by the Fundraising Team, you will feel confident in developing events ideas, from scoping and procuring appropriate locations and resources to safety assessments and managing large teams to prepare, deliver and wrap up exciting nights and celebrations. You will be joining us at a key point in our fundraising. Temwa has generated high levels of media coverage and enjoys a receptive and growing audience in the media. We have recently launched Temwa Carbon Balance, are mid-way through revamping our brand and have a growing network of engaged supporters. You will be able to produce formal networking events for commercial audiences, family friendly events, and electric live shows for dance and wrestling challenges.
The Events Coordinator will be someone who sees the potential of a space and can bring an idea to life, is able to balance multiple relationships and considers all aspects of an event. You will be able to develop relationships digitally and in person with suppliers, partners and the Temwa UK and Malawi teams as well. Your work will be grounded in effective events management systems and trends, as well as a deep commitment and understanding in what we do. As a key member of a small team, you will be someone with initiative, adaptable to different tasks and environments and have the ability to balance a varying workload.
Key deliverables of this role include:
- managing Temwa’s programme of special events and festival support, to agreed targets and with the aim of growing income from this source
- working alongside the Communications Assistant and Communications & Deputy Fundraising Manager to ensure events are marketed successfully
- maintaining key external relationships, including coordinating work with key supporters and media outlets, to expand events marketing reach as widely as possible and trusted suppliers to support the delivery of events
- Passionate about inspiring change in communities and an interest in fundraising
- Relevant qualification and/or experience in Events Management
- Strong interpersonal skills and fluent communication (both written and verbal)
- Experienced in the delivery of events, including scoping, supplier and artist liaison, logistics, team and volunteer coordination, lighting and AV, programming, and budget management
- Experience in events marketing, collating press info and public relations and ticket management
- Attention to detail in reporting and copy-writing
- Possess a highly positive, ‘can-do’ attitude with a proactive and flexible approach to work
- Willing to travel and occasionally work evenings and weekends
- Commitment to Temwa’s vision and values
How to Apply
Please submit a CV (max two pages) and one page cover letter outlining your relevant skills, experience and interest in the role.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.