Closing date: 30/05/2022
Interview date: 06/06/2022
Our vision is to end street homelessness. At Thames Reach we are committed to helping homeless and vulnerable people to live in decent homes, build supportive relationships and lead fulfilling lives.
We are recruiting an Assistant Support Worker to join our Hillingdon outreach team. This is an exciting opportunity to join a new service working in Hillingdon and Heathrow airport. Working in this team will give you an opportunity to make a real difference to rough sleeping. This role will enable you to work towards quick outcomes and to support rough sleepers away from rough sleeping. This team will work alongside other agencies to support people to access suitable crisis and longer term accommodation and reduce the number of people sleeping in Hillingdon and airport.
Our Assistant Support Workers play a pivotal part in Thames Reach’s inspiring work in Hillingdon, helping homeless people get off the streets, back on their feet and looking forward to a brighter future.
With the help of our experienced senior staff and management, you will be supported and trained to use your strong communication and creative problem-solving skills. You will receive regular supervision from experienced staff who will both guide your work and encourage and facilitate your personal development.
You will have over-see the progress of a group of clients, some of whom will be on the streets of Hillingdon and some newly moved into accommodation, you’ll work with your clients to agree and complete support plans ensuring actions from these are carried out. This work will be monitored by experienced senior staff.
This is a challenging but extremely rewarding role that requires you to assertively reinforce our message that rough sleeping is an unsafe choice and give individuals you meet clear information about their available options and the necessary encouragement and support so they can make an informed choice to move away from the street.
As Assistant Support Worker you will:
- Provide a rapid response to referrals we receive ensuring people sleeping rough in Hillingdon are looked for within tight time scales.
- Support our clients with practical tasks that will enable them to move off of the streets or sustain accommodation.
- Directly support clients, identifying activities that will assist in their journey towards recovery and away from life on the streets
- Maintain and support links with community programs and resources.
- Ensure that all paperwork is completed and work is recorded and monitored.
- A commitment to providing a high standard of service.
- Excellent communication skills
- Honesty, reliability and a mature and thoughtful approach to equal opportunities and diversity in service provision
- The ability to learn and an enthusiasm for training and acquiring new skills.
The role will involve office and street-based work in Hillingdon and Heathrow. As this service covers a wide area, a clean UK driving license is an essential requirement for this role. While a large proportion of your time will be spent working daytime shifts Monday-Friday, the postholder will be required to work regular early morning and late-night outreach shifts.
As well as a great working environment we offer:
- 29 days holiday
- Excellent learning and development opportunities
- + 6.5% employer contributory pension (with employee contributing 1.5%)
Thames Reach is committed to achieving a diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We value, respect, and celebrate diversity. We welcome and encourage applicants from all sections of the community regardless of their history of homelessness, sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, or religious belief.