The Active Wellbeing Society (TAWS) is a community benefit society and cooperative working to develop healthy, happy communities living active and connected lives.
Our vision is for a society where people have the autonomy, capacity, resources and skills to become the architects of their own destiny; where our individual wellbeing is recognised as being bound up in our collective responsibility to and dependency on each other; and where all of us feel empowered as agents of social change to make a difference – whether at an individual level or more widely.
By working collaboratively with communities we aim to bring about sustainable change on an social, environmental and economic level; to do the social knitting required to create stronger and more resilient communities and to support communities to identify, mitigate and remove the barriers that prevent them from living active and connected lives.
This role oversees the management and development of the community food work. The role ensures good quality, effective delivery of the existing offer, ensuring that the work is delivered in line with the organisations values and requirements. This role is also responsible for supporting the development of new business, in conjunction with the Chief Executive and other directors as required.
· Manage and develop the work of the existing Big Feed Project within the organisation.
· Further develop the work of the community kitchens across the city, linking them to initiatives like the share shacks and other similar opportunities.
· Oversee and develop the food justice network in Birmingham and more widely.
· Manage and develop budgets and business planning around the work with community food.
· Work collaboratively with the funding manager to bring in additional funding for new areas of work in relation to food justice.
· Manage relationships across the city and the region regarding the wider work on food justice, as well as developing key partnerships for the delivery of additional initiatives with communities around food.
· Oversee the work of the community and coops manager, linking their work with the wider work of the organisation as well as with the work around community food.
· Develop the strategy for the organisation regarding community food in conjunction with the Chief Executive.
· Develop further sharing projects for the organisation that link to community food and ‘commensality’ (communal eating as a community development activity)
· Ensure the performance of the community food against required targets, together with overseeing a directorate plan with the Chief Executive
· Ensure the networks are developed and relationships are in place to support the flow of food within the community networks in the city
Strategic Scope of the role:
· Leads on formulation and application of strategy in practice.
· Has extensive experience of delivering strategy for an entire function and operating at a senior managerial level (but below board level) in an organisation.
· Leads the function in following the organisation's strategic plan.
· Makes decisions critical to the organisation's success.
· Heads a major function within the organisation
· Accountable for financial performance in several specified areas.
Business Skills and experience required:
· Has a broad and deep knowledge of their technical or professional specialty and is able to apply that knowledge and its implications to the wider business.
· Has demonstrable experience of working within/ establishing cooperatives and applying cooperative principles in their practice
· Has demonstrable experience of the wider sharing economy and establishing collaborative interventions in this area
· Has budget management skills and demonstrable experience of budget setting and monitoring
· Has demonstrable experience of working with/setting up social enterprises
· Can clearly show a background in areas of community food work including: cooking/ menu planning/ food supply/ growing food/ nutrition/ food justice
· Can demonstrate excellent people management skills and clear communication skills including understanding of resourcing new projects and managing staff as a key asset within organisations
· Is able to demonstrate success in raising funding and developing new projects and collaborations
· Has experience of community work and supporting and developing networks of shared interest and purpose
· Represents the company and/or their industry at high levels (ie. nationally or internationally).
· Understands, explains and presents complex technical ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences at all levels in a persuasive and convincing manner.
· Establishes organisational objectives and delegates responsibilities.
· Accountable for actions and decisions made not only by themselves, but by those that they manage.
· Bring your own device - £20 towards your phone bill monthly.
· Health Shield – discounted health benefit against eye examinations/prescriptions.
· +Plus EAP (counseling and DRs on call 24hrs a day)
· Death in Service – 4 times your salary paid to beneficiary.
· Nest Pension – 8% paid by TAWS 3 % paid by employee.
· Annual Leave – 25-29 days AL plus 5 wellbeing days
· Flexible working.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.