Healthwatch Brent is one of 152 local Healthwatch organisations established throughout England on 1 April 2013 under the provisions of the Health and Social Care Act 2012. It has a dual role to champion the rights of health and social care users and to hold the system to account for how well it engages with the public.
Healthwatch’s remit covers all publicly funded health and social care services for adults and children.
The Advocacy Project has been awarded the contract to be Healthwatch Brent’s provider from 1 April 2021. We will build on the important work that’s been done to date, while bringing new insights from the voices of seldom heard and hard to hear groups. You’ll have an opportunity to develop the service in line with our ambitious vision, making sure all views in Brent, including the most marginalised, are at the heart of health and care and shape the services they need.
About the role
You will be responsible for a variety of internal and external communications for Healthwatch Brent, producing impactful communications across all social media platforms including Healthwatch Brent’s website, Twitter and Facebook. You will craft communications which influence and raise awareness of Healthwatch Brent’s activities.
A key aspect of this role is to promote Healthwatch in order to encourage a wide variety of local residents to get involved and have their say. You will lead the community engagement function of Healthwatch Brent by increasing the membership of our grassroots steering group, creating opportunities to reach out and engage with local people, particularly hard to reach and seldom heard groups. You will keep abreast of best practice in engaging with communities using creative and innovative engagement techniques, making sure these are integrated across the service.
Your role will involve finding innovative ways to present the intelligence the team gathers to key audiences ranging from face-to-face conversations with partners and funders through to producing imaginative materials. This includes producing accessible reports and presentations to make sure we can maximise the impact of our intelligence gathering.
You will be a skilled communicator, comfortable networking and engaging with a diverse range of local residents and members of the public.
Working as part of a small team, you will be involved in many aspects of the organisation. You’ll need to be flexible, with a ‘can do’ attitude to meet the constantly evolving needs of the service as it develops in the new phase of its journey under the leadership of The Advocacy Project.
- Create copy and produce materials, delivering this information to specific, targeted audiences, using the most appropriate channels.
- Create engaging and up-to-date digital media content across all social media channels, including web content, Twitter and Facebook.
- Design reports, presentations and stationary templates for the Healthwatch service, making sure all materials keep to the Healthwatch brand guidelines.
- Create regular newsletters and e-bulletins, circulating these to key stakeholders to support engagement.
- Develop effective relationships with groups and organisations to promote the Healthwatch service and share platforms to capture the views and experiences of local people.
- Make sure audience specific community engagement techniques are integrated into the local Healthwatch service as a whole.
- Keep abreast of good engagement practice and actively seek out innovative ways to capture and express people’s views/experiences.
- Take a lead role in making sure Healthwatch Brent involves people from all sections of the community, including seldom heard communities, and there is diverse representation on the grassroots steering group.
- Carry out any other tasks needed for the service to run smoothly, as directed by the Healthwatch Manager.
- Keep up to date with best practice from Healthwatch England, by reading, attending courses and networking.
- Answer and respond appropriately to calls about the service, collaborating with the team to give signposting support via phone and email.
- Participate in team meetings and training.
- Participate in personal, team and organisational development.
- Keep to all policies, including health & safety, and risk regulations.
- Promote equality and diversity in all aspects of work and challenge discrimination.
- Work to The Advocacy Project’s mission, vision, and values and also those of Healthwatch Brent.
- Work flexibly to meet the needs of the service, in line with the changing local and national landscape and carry out other projects and tasks as needed.
- Experience of creating engaging digital content and writing copy for a variety of media and audiences.
- Experience of website and/or social media development or management.
- Experience of successfully leading or supporting the design and delivery of outreach events.
- Knowledge and practical experience of community involvement methods and techniques.
- Experience of networking and partnership building with the ability to work effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders ranging from local residents, colleagues, partners, trustees and commissioners.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and the ability to tailor engagement to meet the needs of the audience using face to face, print and digital methods.
- Knowledge and experience of producing accessible and engaging reports and /or presentations using digital tools.
- Understanding of the NHS and /or social care.
- Ability to manage multiple projects effectively and meet deadlines.
- Experience of working with diverse communities, particularly in Brent, and tackling discrimination and inequality.
- Good understanding of health inequalities and the role Healthwatch can play in helping local people to address these.
- Excellent organisational skills, ability to take initiative and plan your own workload.
- Commitment to working within The Advocacy Project and Healthwatch Brent code of conduct, equality and safeguarding policies.
- Willingness to attend further training as appropriate and to adopt new procedures.
- Willingness to promote Healthwatch Brent and The Advocacy Project in line with our mission, vision and values.
- Ability to take creative approaches to engagement, including digital and non-digital approaches to reach those who may be excluded from some methods.
- Evidence of ongoing personal development and training related to the role.
- Previous experience of working within a Healthwatch service.
Benefits of working for us
We’re committed to providing an empowering, flexible and supportive working environment for all our staff.
Our employee benefits include 30 days annual leave (including up to 3 days between Christmas and New Year), participation in a pension scheme with 6% employer contribution, access to a free confidential counselling service, and an interest-free travel/bike loan.
All our staff are supported to learn and develop in a variety of ways, including a monthly lecture series where we invite sector experts to talk to our staff on topical issues.
We are a Disability Confident Committed and Mindful Employer.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.