We are looking for a Digital Engagement Officer to join us at a crucial and exciting stage in our development. You will have a genuine passion for all things digital. You'll be a technical specialist with a creative eye, comfortable analysing data, creating interesting and engaging content for a range of channels. Our mission is to connect to, advocate for and educate about Africa and its diaspora, you will ensure that our communications reflect our ambitions.
An excellent communications professional experienced in developing digital campaigns and writing for print, web, and social media, the Digital Engagement Officer will work as part of Outreach and Engagement to deliver our overall strategy, and to champion our digital engagement.
As Digital Engagement Officer, you will be responsible for creating exciting and impactful digital content, as well as coordinating and promoting activity across all digital and social media channels, whilst looking to maximise reach, awareness, and fundraising opportunities for The Africa Centre. You will also work to keep the Charity's website up to date through regular content edits and uploads, assisting with the planning and creation of new pages and features.
Reporting to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, the Digital Engagement Officer and working closely with the Programmes Manager you will market and promote our events and other engagement activities. This role will also support venue hire, income generation, and fundraising activities through digital campaigns that drive sales and donations.
It is essential that you have a keen interest in Africa and that you are knowledgeable about and are connected to African and Caribbean communities in the UK.
- Promote our values and key messages on Strategy, Mission, Vision, Impact and Advocacy work, Fundraising, and Campaigning to existing and potential supporters (individuals and organisations) and wider stakeholder groups, and to positively engage with them via social media and digital channels.
- Plan and execute The Africa Centre’s digital marketing activities including digital and social media advertising, brand awareness, lead generation campaigns, online fundraising appeals, and marketing our community engagement and fundraising events.
- Research, create, write or edit optimised engaging and creative content (both copy and visuals) to publish via our digital channels.
- Work with The Africa Centre team to write compelling short copy which tells engaging stories and inspires people to take positive action through a range of channels including email, digital media, paid social, Google Ads and The Africa Centre website.
- Develop and monitor effective benchmarks for measuring the impact of digital activities, and analyse, review, and report on the effectiveness of campaigns to maximise results.
- Provide digital support to colleagues across the organisation, driving new and more effective use of digital activity.
- Champion our digital activity by planning, creating, and promoting content for social media channels and our website. Providing advice and creative input, and ensuring that we leverage opportunities presented by new technologies and communication channels.
- Ensure that colleagues and internal teams are fully briefed on campaigns.
- Identify opportunities to appropriately share relevant stories with stakeholders and other groups.
- Support the development of fundraising documents and engagement collateral including presentations and other related material.
- Be an active member of the Outreach and Engagement committee working with volunteer teams, staff, and the Board, to ensure robust communication around all our activities.
- Any other tasks as reasonably asked by The Africa Centre
Skills and Experiences
- A genuine interest in and passion for Africa and its global diaspora and alignment with the ethos and aspirations of The Africa Centre.
- Firm understanding of the competitive space and wider environment in which The Africa Centre operates.
- A minimum of three years of professional experience working in a broad digital marketing role, either in-house or agency.
- Experience in implementing digital strategies hitting measurable goals, preferably with a focus on digital campaigning or fundraising for social justice causes. This must include experience in:
- Email marketing
- Social media management SEO
- Monitoring and analysing key digital analytics, providing timely and insightful reports on outcomes, and recommending strategic pivots accordingly.
- Drafting, uploading, and monitoring the performance of website content, using a CMS. MailChimp, Google Analytics, Google Data Studio, Adobe Creative Suite, Hootsuite.
- Great written and oral communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Customer service-oriented, results-driven, and excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong organisational and project management skills, with excellent time management and the ability to manage competing priorities.
- Creative flair and approach to complex challenges.
- Ability to show initiative, work with limited supervision, and collaborate effectively as part of a small, agile team.
- Experience managing budgets.
- Basic HTML skills and a strong understanding of SEO and Google Ads. Video editing and/or production skills, particularly for social media.
- Basic editing and design skills, including knowledge of Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.