The Africa Centre is at an exciting stage in its development and to help us realise our ambitions we are looking for a passionate individual to provide finance and operational/ administration support across the organisation.
The Finance & Operations Officer records all financial transactions of the charity and implements controls to achieve accuracy, minimise the opportunity for financial loss and provide up to date information. This role also provides operational support across The Africa Centre including resource and office management and assisting with special projects as required.
This role will contribute towards developing a supportive working environment, and demonstrate a commitment to professionalism and respect, transparency and accountability and uphold quality standards as outlined in policies and procedures. The post holder will have a keen interest in Africa and its Diaspora, and enthusiastic support of the ethos and aspirations of The Africa Centre
Hours - 21 per week (flexible as to spread). Some evening and weekend work may be required
- To enter all general and purchase ledger transactions into the accounting system (SAGE) and to ensure that it is updated and maintained in an accurate and timely manner.
- To work closely with the Chief Finance Operations Officer and budget holders to ensure financial records are maintained and correctly coded in accordance with accounting (SORP) requirements, donors and the Board of Trustees approved annual budget.
- To prepare and complete monthly bank and other payment/ giving system reconciliations (e.g. PayPal, Just Giving)
- To ensure timely processing of Purchase Ledger: payments to suppliers by preparing payment runs for approval and uploading to online banking.
- To ensure timely processing of Sales Ledger: ensure that customer/ supporter/ grant invoices are issued in a timely manner and manage the credit control process. This will include processing card payments both in person and through a virtual terminal.
- To prepare and input the monthly Business Card reconciliations and postings to the ledger.
- Prepare month end reconciliations and assist with the month end closing process
- Assist with the annual audit and accounts preparation including the preparation of the Trial balance and year end reconciliations and schedules
- Manage petty cash for the charity
- Monitor and manage the Finance email inbox
- Answer finance-related queries from the team
- Provide support to the Finance Committee as required (preparation of papers, minutes etc.)
- Provide support to the Trust and Foundations Officer as required. This will include providing financial information as needed for applications and assisting with claims and reporting.
- Managing the Info mailbox where all general enquiries come through
- Responsible for incoming/ outgoing post (when in the office)
- Premises management, responding to staff and customer queries.
- Monitoring and replenishing office supplies. Where staff are working from home ensuring that they have access to suitable equipment and supplies. Cost-effectiveness is key.
- Office and facility co-ordination. Resolving issues and ensuring best value and service is maintained for the charity. Liaise with the landlord as required.
- Maintain health & safety systems for the charity (site risk assessments, staff training, policy and related contracts)
- Act as a point of contact for the external IT contractor and staff in relation to IT support requirements. Assisting with sourcing and the implementation of new systems. Assist the Chief Finance and Operations Officer with maintaining GDPR compliance.
- Assisting with HR administration as required.
- Support the organisation of internal meetings and events (board meetings, AGM, away days etc.). To include arranging venues, preparing papers and materials/ equipment, taking notes and producing clear and concise minutes
- To effectively assist/ manage projects as requested by the senior management team and board of trustees, ensuring that any works or programmes are completed to agreed parameters, budgets and agreed deadlines
Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar role, ideally with knowledge of charity SORP
- A minimum of AAT (or equivalent) qualification or can demonstrate clear QBE.
- Experience of using accountancy packages: currently using SAGE 50
- Experience of co-ordinating premises and office management including experience of building relationships with suppliers and health and safety oversight.
- Excellent IT skills with ability to use Excel, SAGE, spreadsheets, emails and databases effectively
- Able to work effectively in a motivated team but also be able to be solution focused and self-motivating, to work on your own initiative and be accountable for your own work
- High organisational skills with the ability to prioritise workloads effectively. Experience of working on deadline focused projects
- Exceptional communication skills, able to develop clear and concise written materials
- High levels of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work in a multicultural organisation and commitment to ensuring equal opportunities throughout the organisation
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.