This a part-time role and days are Friday (10am to 6pm), Saturday (10am to 6pm) and Sunday (10am to 4pm).
The experience we offer our visitors is essential to our success and we are committed to delivering the highest standard of service to our visitors throughout their time spent at The Africa Centre. This role will be focused on welcoming people into the Centre through being a pro-active presence. Responsible for a small team of staff and volunteers you will be responsible keeping the welcome area to a high standard and will be available to inform visitors about our work and process ticket sales, friend scheme applications, donations and sales of our merchandise. In addition, you will welcome visitors to the site who have hired space or are visiting a member of staff. This role also provides operational support across The Africa Centre including resource and facility support and assisting with special projects as required.
This role will contribute towards developing a supportive working environment, and demonstrate a commitment to professionalism and respect, transparency and accountability and uphold quality standards as outlined in policies and procedures. The post holder will have a keen interest in Africa and its Diaspora, and enthusiastic support of the ethos and aspirations of The Africa Centre.
- Provide comprehensive information to all Centre visitors and guests in a friendly and informative manner via telephone, email and face to face contact.
- Process friend scheme applications, donations to the centre, ticket sales and bookings and merchandise sales (other sales processing may be added over time).
- Provide information and support on a range of enquiries including those relating to events happening at the Centre, the history of the Centre and its current and future programme. Be a positive representative of the Centre and record relevant conversations on the TAC CRM, ensuring relevant members of staff are notified.
- Resolve all queries and requests in an efficient and friendly manner, referring on to and liaising with relevant TAC team members as required. If feedback including complaints are received ensure these are passed onto the correct member of the TAC team for response and/or investigation
- Working with the TAC operations team to ensure any weekend building/ facilities issues are dealt with efficiently, enabling the smooth running of the Centre. Acting as a Centre contact to ensure that any works or maintenance issues are dealt with swiftly to ensure operations are not interrupted.
- Working with the TAC security team to ensure the safety of visitors and guests on site.
- Work with and support the wider TAC team, including Centre events and supporting hirers of our spaces
- When required act as fire warden / first aider for the Centre for which full training will be given.
Projects and any other tasks
- To effectively assist/ manage projects as reasonably requested by the senior management team and board of trustees, ensuring that any works or programmes are completed to agreed parameters, budgets and agreed deadlines
Show commitment, effective team work and communication by:
- Acting as a point of contact to external calls and emails, through the [email protected] mailboxes and sharing queries with the right staff members if needed.
- Actively participating in team and organisation workgroup, committee meetings. This may include acting as administrator of these groups, taking and sharing minutes.
- Representing The Africa Centre in a positive manner, promoting our key messages.
- Engaging with the charity’s activities and ensuring up to date knowledge and understanding of its work.
- Ensuring cost-effectiveness in all areas of work.
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with departmental and company policies and procedures.
Skills & Experience
- Relevant high quality customer service experience including providing a wide range of information to guests/ visitors
- Able to demonstrate experience of selling products such as tickets and/ or friends/ membership schemes
- Experience of working with third party suppliers to ensure the smooth running of a busy visitor centre.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Able to demonstrate ability to deal with difficult situations, resolving conflict in a polite and courteous way.
- Excellent IT skills with ability to use Microsoft Office, databases (currently implementing Salesforce), emails effectively. Has the experience of learning new packages within previous roles
- Good organisational skills – the ability to manage the demands of a varied job while maintaining service standards across the range of functions
- Able to work effectively in a motivated team but also be able to be solution focused and self-motivating, to work on your own initiative and be accountable for your own work
- Ability to work in a multicultural organisation and commitment to ensuring equal opportunities throughout the organisation
- Commitment to continuous learning and professional development
- A flexible approach to work as will be required to support the operations of The Africa Centre (time of in lieu is offered to staff)