Reporting to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, the Programmes Manager will contribute to the development and delivery of events and other engagement activities addressing our mission and values. Developing strategies to attract new audiences to The Africa Centre and retain existing ones, you will nurture these into ongoing supporters of the Charity.
We often work in partnership with external organisations, individuals, corporates, advocacy groups, and institutions, both in Africa and the diaspora and you will engage with these, building new relationships and strengthening existing ones. This role will shape and develop our programme strategy including how we deliver. We have initiatives in place with the aim of transforming and empowering the diverse communities we serve, particularly young people. You will ensure that the Charity fully understands the needs and expectations of our communities and that we develop relevant evidence based programmes.
You will have a keen interest in Africa, be knowledgeable about and connected to African and Caribbean communities in the UK. Using your communication skills, creativity, networks, and grasp of the wider environment you will deliver programme and activities that can attract audiences, funding and raise the profile of the Charity.
- Create new programmes (both physical and digital) aligned with The Africa Centre’s mission and expand and execute on existing ideas.
- Identify relevant programme delivery partners, build relationships, establishing an engaged network.
- Contribute to the development of the yearly programme budget and delivery of monthly reporting to agreed annual KPIs and objectives.
- Work closely with the Venue Sales & Operations officer on space availability and readiness for programmed events.
- Support with the production and logistics of programmes, exhibitions, and events. Liaise with third parties and manage the set-up and break down of both internal and external events.
- Track programme attendance, collect data and produce relevant reports
- Coordinate required forms and agreements for programme participants and moderators.
- Keep programmes calendar up-to-date and monitor the group mailbox including managing all programmes related subscriptions and accounts
- Assist with marketing and communication of programmes including producing invitations, managing ticketing and attendance lists, website updates related to upcoming programming, supporting programme related social media, etc.
- Coordinate the documentation of programming activity through photos, videos, and blogs, etc and participate in reviewing the production, post-production, and archiving.
- Support The Africa Centre’s social media strategy, liaising with Marketing and Comms to ensure that past and upcoming programmes and other related content is published.
- Support the development of fundraising documents including presentation decks and other related material.
- Be an active member of the Outreach and Engagement committee working with with volunteer teams, staff, and the Board, to ensure robust communication around programming.
- Any other tasks as reasonably asked by the organisation.
In this role, you will be expected to show commitment, teamwork, and communication by:
- Acting as a point of contact for external calls and keeping an eye on the group mailbox.
- Actively participating in team and organisation activities.
- Being a trusted advocate of The Africa Centre and positively representing the Charity at all times.
- Engaging with the Charity’s activities, understanding our charitable purpose, and amplifying our key messaging.
- Ensuring cost-effectiveness in all areas of work and that all duties are carried out in accordance with departmental and company policies and procedures.
- A willingness to work outside of office hours and occasionally, during weekends.
Skills and Experience
- A genuine interest in and passion for Africa and its global diaspora and alignment with the ethos and aspirations of The Africa Centre.
- Firm understanding of the competitive space and wider environment in which the Africa Centre operates.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a similar role with a proven track record of conceiving, managing, and delivering successful programmes.
- Digital fluency, a creative flair, and proficiency with IT. Experience with digital marketing, and media production applications desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Agile, adaptive, proactive, and excellent time-management skills.
- Customer service-oriented, results-driven, and excellent problem-solving skills.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.