BEACON OPERATIONS MANAGER
The Beacon Scholarship, operated by The Beacon Equity Trust, is a leadership development programme started in 2009 that grows and delivers 'change-makers'. Currently operating in top secondary schools in 4 sub-Saharan countries in Africa and in UK universities, we find young people with leadership potential who have financial need; provide them with access to the highest quality education; offer leadership training and 'high-touch' mentoring; and create a vertical pathway for transition into leadership positions. The vision is to develop a group of ethical change-makers who have a ‘multiplier effect’ to generate positive social change.
Beacon Operations Manager is a contractual role suited to an individual ideally with African origin or exposure, based in Southeast England who wants to work from home. The role combines the challenge of working in a small, focused team delivering a unique international scholarship programme, with the satisfaction of seeing the positive social impact that comes from nurturing leadership potential in very bright young people. As the Operations Manager you’re at the centre of the action, co-ordinating workflows and communicating a programme that supports young people to realise their potential. In a new, developing structure you will report to a General Manager (currently managing operations), working alongside international colleagues, and over time become responsible for a small team which monitors Scholar performance.
- Managing day-to-day operations, including Scholar recruitment; virtual events; scholar evaluation; web comms and updates; Beacon document templates and Google Drive filing system.
- Communicating details of programme events to Scholars and the Beacon Community at large.
- Responding to enquiries and actively marketing the Scholarship by email.
- Liaising with a Target Sheet Mentor (TSM) Team Leader to oversee Scholar performance.
- Managing all Beacon policies and overseeing high quality implementation of any specific tasks that arise in our fast-moving environment.
Requirements – ‘What we need’
- Experience – 2-3 years operational experience in a start-up, social enterprise, or large organisation
- Graduate – undergraduate degree, minimum 2:1
- Flexible working – this is not a 9-5 job and is across different time zones; we do not have an office or direct supervision structure and expect work to be done in a timely way based on a schedule of deliverables; you’ll need to be comfortable working from home and sometimes during non-office hours, including occasional weekends when required; we estimate a working week of about 35 hours a week in total
- Technical competence – MS Office Suite proficient (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint); Google Drive; back-end Joomla html website software (which can be learned), and video software
- Location/Base – should live and operate within a 30-mile radius of Beacon HQ (in Reigate, Surrey)
Requirements – ‘What you are’
- Team before individual – friendly and empathetic, keen to work with young people and team members from different cultures
- Entrepreneurial problem-solver – a ‘get things done’ attitude; resourceful, with a willingness to juggle workloads, try new things and continually re-examine processes
- Detail-orientated – our processes are unique and complex, requiring meticulous care over reporting and written documentation, with appropriate and timely follow-up
- Organised and timely – we operate to strict deadlines, and it is important work is carried out efficiently, with clarity and on time
- Excellent communicator, both orally and in writing – confident with the technicalities of email, video-calls and writing blog posts; and comfortable communicating with stakeholders across the organisation, from scholars, teachers and university staff to country reps and trustees
- Planner – our work requires extensive forward planning – you’ll need to see what the future looks like, and make sure all stakeholders are booked into meetings, appointments and commitments well in advance
Please reply with CV and cover letter. Applications which are just generic cover letters or CVs without covering letters will not be considered.
Please send CV and cover note.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.