Jubilee Debt Advisor
The Big Help Project
Would you like a rewarding role where you can make a positive difference to people’s lives?
Building on the foundation that has already been laid and working as part of the Community Money Advice Team, an exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced debt advisor to join our friendly team.
We are looking for someone with prior debt experience who can play their part in supporting clients through what at times can be emotionally difficult situations to help them get back on their feet. You will have genuine non-judgmental compassion, empathy and patience.
Big Help is striving to be an equal opportunities employer.
Job title Community Debt Advisor
Hours 35-hour week
Benefits 25 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
Purpose Of The Role:
The post holder will work as part of the Big Help Jubilee Debt Advice team to deliver an effective and caring community-based money advice service with a focus on in-depth support and help for people from our communities in need of money advice who are experiencing difficulties. On a day to day basis, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing quality money and budgeting advice to clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work within the Jubilee Debt Advice team to carry out all appropriate administrative tasks according to Jubilee Debt Advice procedures
- Undertake an initial assessment of client’s situation and needs producing an accurate financial statement reflecting the client's current circumstances
- Maximise a client’s income by way identifying and advising of entitlement to appropriate benefits and explaining budgeting skills
- Provide casework covering the whole range of debt advice to include DRO and Bankruptcy work
- Act for the client where necessary by calculating, negotiating and drafting or writing letters and telephoning clients
- Maintain detailed case records online using the IT case management system provided for the purpose of continuity of casework, statistical monitoring and report preparation
- Promote the Money Advice service amongst the Big Help projects, foodbanks and clubs with partner organisations in our communities
- Ensure good working and cross referral with the Welfare Advice team and other Big Help teams
- Keep up to date with legislations, case law, policies and procedures relating to debt advice, identify any trends or changes
- Participate in any appropriate training opportunities
- Undertake any other duties that may from time to time be required
- Maintain Big Help policies on Health and Safety, Safeguarding, Information security and other relevant policies as they relate to the Money Advice team
- The position is accountable to the Debt Advice Supervisor.
Skills and Effectiveness
- Excellent negotiation skills (E)
- Effective as member of a team but also able to work independently (E)
- Ability to prioritise tasks, identify and work to deadlines and to manage time effectively (E)
- Understanding issues of confidentiality (E)
- IT literate – proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook (E)
- A strong ability to show empathy, compassion and patience (E)
- Empathy with mission, objectives and values of the Big Help Project (D)
- Knowledge of money advice issues, quality of advice and FCA regulatory requirements (E)
- An understanding of the issues facing poverty and disadvantage (E)
- An understanding of equal opportunities and challenging discrimination (E)
- An understanding of how CMA deliver debt advice (D)
- Knowledge of local networks and resources (D)
- Knowledge of different agencies working in Knowsley, Liverpool, Sefton and surrounding areas (D)
- Experience of delivering debt casework covering priority and non-priority debt advice, options and insolvency solutions (E)
- Working with individuals facing poverty and/or with dysfunctional lifestyles (E)
- Experience of DRO cases and Bankruptcy issues (D)
- Good standard of education to GCSE level or equivalent (E)
- Recognised training in advice work e.g. CMA training, Wiseradviser, Certificate in Money Advice Practice (E)
- Debt Relief Order Intermediary (D)
- Accredited Member of the Institute of Money Advisers (D)
Other requirements of the job
- Ability to work remotely in the current environment but a willingness to travel effectively around the region in order to carry out duties (E)
- Comfortable with the aims of the Big Help Project (E)
- Willing and able to work the occasional evening and Saturday (E)
- Car owner with clean driving license or keen user of public transport. Cyclists welcome (D)
Please apply by email with your CV and letter explaining how you meet the person specification. The closing date is 6pm Wednesday 23rd June 2021. Interviews are planned for week beginning 28th June 2021.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.