The Grants and Data Officer (GDO) will work on a new grants programme being delivered by Big Issue Invest starting in November 2021 in partnership with four other leading UK social enterprise support organisations.
Big Issue Invest is the social investment arm of The Big Issue. BII helps prevent poverty and creates opportunities for communities by providing finance, from unsecured loans to equity investment, to sustainable social enterprises, charities and ventures.
The GDO will work closely with the Grants and Data Manager and other members of the Impact Team, colleagues across Big Issue Invest, and the grant fund’s implementing partners to ensure the effective delivery of the grants programme.
The GDO will be responsible for the effective implementation of key project management activities involving colleagues at Big Issue Invest and grant recipients, monitoring the progress of supported projects and contribute to reporting to the funder.
The role is a great opportunity for someone with project management and/or grant management experience who wants to work within a social investment organisation supporting social organisations across the UK. The role provides an opportunity to build skills in project delivery, grant management, monitoring and reporting and financial management. Big Issue Invest is committed to the development of its staff and this role also has the opportunity to grow into additional investment or grant management activities depending on the growth priorities of the successful applicant.
This is a one year position linked to the project detailed below with the possibility of extension.
The Grants Programme Officer will be responsible for the following:
Collaboration with a consortium of partners delivering the new fund
- Ensure effective data input and updating of the consortium’s shared information management system to ensure BII meets project reporting compliance.
Delivery of grant making activities including coordination of assessments, contacting applicants and contractual management and monitoring of successful applicants
- Coordinate and support internal team of grant assessors during each funding round and prepare documentation for the award panel.
- Ensure all compliance procedures (Know Your Customer, Anti-Money Laundering) are carried out as per internal policies and the programme’s specifications.
- Communicate outcomes of the grant assessment process to successful and unsuccessful applicants.
- Work with successful applicants and BII’s Financial Controller to ensure grant contracts are signed and funds disbursed in a timely manner
- Support the Grants & Data Manager in ensuring Big Issue Invest delivers grant support as well as non-financial support in line with the programme’s schedule.
- Conduct periodic engagement with grantees of the project to ensure successful delivery of the project.
Coordination of Technical Assistance provision from Big Issue Invest to grantees as required by applicants
- In line with grantee requests, engage technical experts across Big Issue Invest to provide services to grantees and support in coordinating this delivery.
- Ensure appropriate recording of Technical Assistance activities for the accurate reporting of the grant project to funders
Data management and reporting activities
- Ensure data is collected at key points in the grant making process for Big Issue Invest to have clear monitoring data.
- Support the Grants & Data Manager in ensuring BII delivers reports on time to the funder.
- Provide accurate and well-presented data about the portfolio of grant holders and the programme’s implementation to internal stakeholders as needed.
- With the Financial Controller, provide accurate and timely financial reporting data for BII SMT and in line with contractual requirements for the project.
- Ensure the Grant Programme Officer is kept up to date with any monitoring and evaluation requirements evolving from the project.
Sharing lessons and developing expertise within Big Issue Invest
- Working with the wider Impact Team, identify lessons in the grants programme to share with the wider Big Issue Invest team.
- Work with the Grants & Data Manager to contribute to the ongoing development of Big Issue Invest’s data management platforms to improve opportunity for insights into the grants and investment portfolios.
- Engage in opportunities to learn from Investment Managers on social investment processes and approaches to improve your understanding of Big Issue Invest’s products and services.
Skills & Experience
We are looking for a Grants and Data Officer with the following experience:
- Project management experience including work planning, compliance management and donor reporting
- Experience in the administration of complex projects that require a highly organized approach to record-keeping and excellent attention to detail
- Experience with coordinating individuals across different teams and managing relationships with external stakeholders
- Direct grant-making experience (especially grant assessment process, budget management with grantees, contracting, Know Your Client (KYC) checks).
- Data management, analytic and visualisation skills
For a full job description with details of skills and experience, please download from the link below.
Salary and Benefits include:
- Salary of £30,000 - £33,000 per annum depending on experience
- Incremental holiday entitlement starting at 25 days per year plus bank holidays (pro-rata for part time staff) plus paid leave to care for a sick child or grandchild and a sick or elderly relation
- Incremental sick pay starting at 5 days per rolling year
- Enhanced contribution to our workplace pension
- Enhanced maternity/paternity pay
- Comprehensive flexible working policy open to all staff
- Training and development opportunities including an open learning library and management training schemes
- Health benefits include life cover, a health Cashplan scheme which provides access to counselling and a range of therapies
Please note that we reserve the right to review and amend our staff benefits and they do not form part of any contract of employment.
This role can be based anywhere in the UK with flexible/remote working arrangement, with frequent travel to the Big Issue Invest London or Birmingham Office and infrequent travel throughout the UK.
Closing date: 1 November 2021
Big Issue Invest is committed to equal opportunities and committed to promoting and enhancing diversity, equality and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applicants from all members of the community and particularly welcome applications from people with disabilities, Black, Asian, or Minority Ethnic backgrounds, LGBTQIA, and from different socio-economic and educational backgrounds.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.