We are excited to be recruiting a Legal, Governance and Data Manager to join the Operations Department on a fixed term basis. You will report to the HR Manager, taking on day to day responsibility for all first line legal and data protection work across the charity. You will also work to maintain our ISO27001 accreditation, project manage compliance projects, oversee our office space leases, and ensure that we maintain the right level of insurance coverage. This is a varied role with opportunities for substantial independent research, negotiation and casework. On a day-to-day basis you will support our programme, research, operations and senior leadership team to operate within required legal frameworks, making the right decisions to support our mission.
The Brilliant Club exists to increase the number of pupils from underrepresented backgrounds progressing to highly selective universities. We think it is important that our charity reflects the lived experience of our beneficiaries, and we want to be an organisation where employees from any background can thrive. We particularly welcome applications from disabled, Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME), Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans including non-binary (LGBTQ+) candidates, and candidates from low-income families. These groups are currently underrepresented at The Brilliant Club and we are committed to increasing representation and diversity at the charity.
Time and Resource Management
- You manage multiple deadlines and stakeholders in a fast-paced environment, understanding where your input is most crucial to the charity’s success and prioritising accordingly.
- You are a competent project manager, able to oversee the smooth roll-out of new legal and data protection practices, and support ISO accreditation and auditing processes.
- You build relationships effectively with colleagues, enabling you to advise proactively.
- You communicate clearly and concisely. You’ll be able to explain legal concepts and concerns to a non-specialist audience.
- You deliver training to non-specialists on areas such as contract negotiation and data protection
Initiative and Problem Solving
- You can work independently and with colleagues to negotiate favourable contracts, manage legal risk and respond to potential disputes.
Developing Self and Others
- You spot, assess, and resolve legal issues in our day-to-day operations, escalating to external counsel where necessary
- You act as a legal generalist, able to swiftly learn about unfamiliar areas of law, and advise the organisation accordingly.
Role Specific Experience and Qualifications
- Essential – UK qualified solicitor, barrister, or legal executive with general commercial or corporate background. No minimum PQE requirements
- Desirable – previous in-house experience, either in the charity or private sectors.
- Desirable – experience of work in the charity sector, including advice on fundraising
- Desirable – experience of employment and/or data protection advisory work
Role Specific Knowledge and Skills
- Essential – broad commercial and contractual skills
- Essential – understanding of UK GDPR and the UK data protection regime
- Essential – capable of adapting quickly to new digital systems and interfaces