We are looking for a super-organised, multi-talented Head of Operations for a year long maternity cover contract.
The British Society for Rheumatology (BSR) is a UK wide membership organisation for health professionals in rheumatology. The BSR works to promote excellence in the care of people with rheumatic and musculoskeletal disorders and to support those delivering care at every step. The BSR works to ensure that clinicians, nurses and health professionals are educated and trained to provide high quality care. Our members look after every stage of life; children, adolescents and adults, across the whole patient pathway.
To oversee the management and development of BSR back office services including human resources, facilities, communication systems and IT infrastructure including the membership database. To ensure these services run efficiently and effectively, making suggestions for improvement where appropriate.
To oversee the development and implementation of the BSR membership strategy in order to maximise recruitment and retention rates leading to an increase in overall income from membership.
- To oversee the tenant arrangements, ensuring lease agreements are kept up to date and adhered to.
- To lead the relationship with the Managing Agent, ensuring that the facilities budgets are agreed annually and that all agreed work is completed on schedule.
- To lead on security systems, ensuring the building, staff, visitors and tenants are safe and that the building is secure at all times.
- To provide advice on the Charity’s insurance portfolio, reviewing requirements annually and negotiating best value for insurance premiums.
- To lead on or develop policies and procedures as appropriate; ensure compliance regarding health and safety, insurance, and the purchase and maintenance of equipment.
- To assist in identifying and developing managerial, administrative and operational policies and procedures, systems and other resources necessary to provide a quality service.
- To manage all external contracts with suppliers and ensure all contractors working on site comply with BSR’s policies.
- To lead on Fire Safety, ensuring equipment e.g. fire extinguishers are checked regularly.
- To ensure that the Charity’s premises are well maintained, providing a safe and attractive working environment and to carry out regular reviews to identify potential hazards or defects.
- To maintain the Disaster Recovery & Business Continuity Plan
Health and Safety
- To be the lead for all health and safety matters for the Society which will includes maintaining up to date knowledge of all relevant health and safety legislation.
- To ensure that relevant health and safety policies are in place, kept up to date and complied with, and that the appropriate level of training and equipment is provided
- To advise and assist managers and staff in being health and safety aware and legally compliant. This will involve keeping up to date with developing issues in relation to legislation as well as monitoring and arranging training.
- To perform health and safety inspections regularly to ensure a visible health and safety approach, in partnership and by negotiation with BSR staff.
- To lead on all aspects of Human Resources management liaising with the Director of Operations.
- To implement and maintain best practice standards, ensuring adherence to HR policies and compliance with employee legislation.
- To provide leadership, guidance and support to other members of the Senior Management Team with the recruitment, induction, probationary reviews, performance issues, grievance and disciplinary procedures, appraisal and training for staff.
Information Communication Technology (ICT)
- To be accountable for ensuring the management, administration, development and performance of BSR’s ICT systems is safe, secure, effective and efficient, promotes best practice and is at an appropriate level to both support staff in their work and deliver high quality customer care.
- To develop and implement appropriate ICT strategies, policies and procedures. To co-ordinate the planned maintenance and cyclical replacement of hardware and software.
- Oversee the development and implementation of a growth strategy for membership recruitment, retention, income and profitability including setting acquisition and retention targets, pricing and incentives
- Oversee membership and operational budgets which ensure an appropriate balance between income and the cost of managing operations and the membership scheme, to ensure maximum net contribution from these revenues.
- Maintain a culture of proactive customer service which will ensure that the service provided by the team to written, online, email and telephone correspondence from BSR members, visitors and other members of the public meet excellent, sector-leading standards.
- Lead the team to ensure the effective performance of the customer database, and membership administration and correspondence.
- To manager the operations and membership annual budgets
Training, experience & qualifications
At least five year’s management experience in similar organisations.
Membership management experience within a membership or loyalty organisation.
Advanced working knowledge of managing a complex database and aptitude for the management and effective use of information systems in a membership and fundraising environment.
Commitment to maintain confidentiality and a high degree of accuracy in all aspects of the role.
Experience of managing a membership teams with specialised skills.
Proven track record of leading innovative service development in a membership/charity/not-for-profit environment.
Experience of developing, maintaining and growing a membership programme, preferably in the not-for-profit or charity sector.
Proven ability to deliver excellent customer service in a member services environment.
Ideally with annual planning experience in a not for profit/membership environment.
Project Management qualification e.g. Prince2.
Knowledge & skills
Excellent commercial judgement; good understanding of the main drivers of cost and revenue and ability to use this to make well-considered decisions or proposals.
Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities. Resourceful and practical; can think on your feet and solve problems quickly and effectively.
Positive “can do” attitude.
Thrives on and can demonstrate strong ability to drive and deliver successful change
Proven ability to motivate, enthuse and lead a team; thrives during periods of pressure and high volume of work and able to create an upbeat, motivating work environment.
Experience of presenting to a wide range of stakeholders and the proven ability to easily establish credibility and inspire audiences.
To be able to represent the organisation externally and provide presentations to internal and external staff and agencies.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.