We are a UK wide membership organisation for all health professionals working in adult, paediatric and adolescent rheumatology. BSR works to promote excellence in the care of people with rheumatic and musculoskeletal disorders and to support those delivering it, involving patients and carers at every step.
We are recruiting a Public Affairs Officer to join our team in the Practice and Quality Directorate. This is a 3-month fixed term contract for an individual with great interpersonal skills who is organised and adaptable and is confident working proactively and independently.
Our head office is based in Central London. We currently have a hybrid working model in place with the ability to apply for additional flexible working arrangements. Support and equipment needed to work remotely will be provided. We expect the post holder to be comfortable working out of the office and outside of normal working hours to represent the Society at parliamentary events.
In this role you will:
- Monitor local and political developments relating to the delivery of rheumatology services
- To secure oral and written parliamentary questions with one or more governments of the UK in Q4 of 2021
- To secure and schedule meetings to discuss workforce report recommendations and garner support with parliamentarians
- Promote the Society’s strategic priorities within your networks and participate in regional events to encourage knowledge sharing and best practice
- Generate content to develop BSR’s leadership voice for increased stakeholder engagement
- Brief the Society’s lead representatives ahead of external events and parliamentary cross party groups to champion rheumatology and its multidisciplinary teams to key stakeholders and elected parliamentarians
- To monitor External Affairs Team general enquiries inbox in line with BSR standards
- To support the team’s proactive approach to work, with a willingness to take on duties (as required) to aid the smooth running of BSR
We want to hear from you if you:
- Are self-motivated and have enthusiasm for public affairs
- Have a good understanding of the UK government and sound political judgement
- Have excellent time and project co-ordination skills with the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Can engage with colleagues and collaborators to bring them on board in line with set targets
- Are confident in managing stakeholders at all levels and excited about seeking opportunities to develop new relationships
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills and can liaise across all business levels
- Are a problem solver with a “can-do” attitude
We would like your experience of the following:
- Working with a healthcare portfolio and / or an understanding of the NHS and the challenges and opportunities facing health and care organisations
- Influencing networks within the health sector
- Strong track record in a policy, campaigning or communications role within the UK
- Evidence of an established sphere of influence in Westminster, including working with clients, senior stakeholders, members and / or coalitions of interest
- Proven experience in producing clear, persuasive and accurate written and oral communications
We can offer:
- A great place to work, we are Investors In People (Silver) accredited and committed to Equality, Inclusion and Diversity
- Flexible working approach
- 25 days holiday and bank holidays
- Regular staff social and wellbeing events, and team activities to build relationships and take a break from work
We particularly welcome applications from people with disabilities, minority ethnic backgrounds, LGBT+ and from different socio-economic and educational backgrounds.
BSR is committed to encouraging inclusion, equality and diversity among our workforce, and eliminating unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation by complying with the Equality Act 2010.
We want a working environment free of all the above, where individual differences and the contributions of all staff are recognised and valued. To do this, we will proactively tackle discrimination and disadvantage and ensure that no individual or group is directly or indirectly discriminated against for any reason. We expect all BSR employees to champion and live our values through their work at every opportunity.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.