The Executive Director is the key management leader of The British Society of Lifestyle Medicine (BSLM). The Executive Director is responsible for providing leadership, developing and implementing strategic direction and overseeing the day to day delivery of operational activity of the organisation. The position reports directly to the Chair and Board of Trustees.
In addition, the Executive Director is expected to take a lead role in international Lifestyle Medicine work supporting the activity of the European Lifestyle Medicine Council and the World Lifestyle Medicine Council.
The postholder will be expected to provide strong leadership and have the drive and initiative required to take the organisation forward at an exciting time in its development.
The postholder will also be expected to build the management capacity of the organisation and provide oversight of BSLM programmes of work:
1) Board Governance: Works with the Board of trustees (the Board) in order to fulfil the organisation’s vision and mission.
- Responsible for leading BSLM in a manner that supports and guides the organisation’s vision and mission as defined by the Board
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions
- Responsible for working closely with the Board to seek their involvement in strategic and policy decisions
- Responsible for the regular review of the organisation’s governance documents, policies and guidance
- Chairs the Executive Group of BSLM
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organisation.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of BSLM, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial situation of the organisation
- Responsible for fiscal planning and management, operating within the approved annual budget, ensuring maximum resource utilisation, and maintenance of the organisation in a positive financial position
- Responsible for filing the annual returns to the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator
3) Organisation Mission and Strategy: Works with Board and other staff to ensure that the vision and mission is fulfilled through programmes, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of BSLM’s programmes of activity to deliver the organisation’s mission
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that BSLM can successfully fulfil its vision into the future
- Responsible for the enhancement of BSLM’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organisations
- Responsible for the interpretation of national health and care policies across the four nations of the UK to ensure BSLM’s strategic planning is consistent with relevant policy direction
- Acts as one of BSLM’s primary spokespersons to the organisation’s constituents, the media and the general public
- Establishes and maintains relationships with various organisations throughout the UK /Internationally and to utilise those relationships to strategically enhance BSLM’s Mission
4) Organisation Operations. Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organisation can be delivered effectively and efficiently.
- Responsible for the effective administration of BSLM operations
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff
- Responsible for management of staff leave, absence, sickness and maintenance of personnel files
- Responsible in due course for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into on behalf of the organisation
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support BSLM’s growth
- Responsible for directing the External Affairs and Communications team to enhance the organisation’s profile and social media presence
Knowledge, training and experience required for the role
- A bachelor’s degree minimum
- MBA preferable
Experience, knowledge and skills
- Five or more years senior non-profit (preferable) or private sector management experience
- Transparent and high integrity leadership and networking skills
- Ability to convey a vision of BSLM’s strategic future to trustees, members, staff, the public and donors
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organisational abilities including planning, delegating, programme development and task facilitation
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate trustees and members
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse partner organisations and donor groups
- Strong public speaking ability
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.