Established in 2004, the Centre for Social Justice (CSJ) is an independent think tank that studies the root causes of Britain’s social problems and seeks to address these through innovative policy recommendations to government. The CSJ has changed the landscape of our political conversation by putting social justice at the heart of British politics. This has led to some of the biggest welfare reforms in a generation. The majority of the CSJ’s work is organised around five ‘pathways to poverty’, first identified in our ground-breaking 2007 report, Breakthrough Britain. These are: family breakdown; educational failure; economic dependency and worklessness; addiction to drugs and alcohol; and severe personal debt.
The Centre for Social Justice is looking to appoint an Operations Manager to ensure the efficient and effective day to day functioning of the organisation. This is a new role, reporting to the Finance and Operations Director, which has been created following significant organisational growth, including the newly formed CSJ Foundation. This is a crucial role at the heart of the organisation and the post holder will be responsible for driving forward all aspects of HR, central infrastructure and compliance to ensure the smooth running of the organisation at all times. The successful candidate will have a proven track record in a past role of developing and implementing systems designed to improve the effectiveness and impact of an organisation and will be able to demonstrate past achievements. This is a full-time role, but hours may be negotiated for the right candidate.
Experience and skills
• Experience of successfully managing the day-to-day operations of an organisation
• Knowledge and experience of running the HR function of an organisation
• IT literate and able to develop and maintain the systems and processes that enable a team to work effectively together.
• Strong organisational skills with the ability to work well on multiple tasks, to short deadlines and under pressure.
• Excellent communication skills: the ability to communicate clearly and appropriately over the phone, in writing, and face-to-face.
• Ability to manage complex and highly confidential information with absolute discretion and a high degree of personal integrity
• A commitment to excellence and high standards of professionalism with an exceptional work ethic
• Shares the CSJ mission to put ‘social justice at the heart of British politics.
• Self-motivated, task oriented, and solutions focussed. Able to spot opportunities for improvements and drive activity forward.
• Able to build trust and strong relationships with colleagues, Board members, and external stakeholders.
• Strong team player, good sense of fun; humble, willing to let others take the credit.
• Consistently performs at a high level, strong attention to detail.
• Flexibility and a willingness to help out, no matter what the task.
• Comfortable around very senior figures.