We are looking for a Research Analyst to join our growing charity. The NFCC works with all public Fire and Rescue Services and the fire sector across the UK to provide best practice, shared resource, ensure continuous improvement and deliver CFOA's charitable aim. The role will be based within our Central Programme Office (CPO) which provides programme, project and benefits management services to fire and rescue services and the Fire Standards Board. It forms one of the three hubs supporting the delivery of the National Fire Chiefs Council’s strategy.
Our Research Analyst will be responsible for the collation and analysis of data, providing reports at project and programme level, supporting programme research initiatives and evaluation of programme outputs. Data analysis work will be pivotal both in the development of programme products and Fire Standards. The ideal candidate will need to be able to work with minimal supervision and having a flexible approach to work in a busy working environment.
The role is a fixed term contract until March 2021 with the potential to be extended. The funding for the role is provided through a grant and the contract term may extend as the funding is confirmed. The role will be home based with occasional travelling to attend meetings both within the Greater London area and the UK.
- Work with the programme team and wider CPO to develop and improve academic input that support programme and portfolio delivery
- Monitor and analyse new sources of data related to fire and rescue services performance (for example inspection findings, national event inquiry or review findings) and liaise with the Portfolio Analyst to ensure these are reported, analysed and input into the Strategic Improvement Model (SIM) appropriately
- Provide insight and horizon scanning to emerging issues that may impact programme delivery.
- Carry out internal research and data focussed projects as and when required
- Support project managers in commissioning and managing the delivery of research, including academic research.
- Work with Project Managers to develop and implement project activities such as consultations and data gathering exercises making effective use of resources to achieve agreed objectives.
- Support and contribute towards programme reporting including the ongoing management of national dashboard reporting.
- To support work to manage and coordinate access to legacy guidance, tools and other national products and provide analysis on these to inform the ongoing programme of work.
- Liaise with others to provide data collection and support analysis in relation to the evaluation and benefits realisation of programme outputs.
- Provide high quality, timely and well-informed reports, advice and support to principal and senior managers regarding data analysis.
- Write and be able to deliver presentations in a professional manner that are appropriate to the audience which may range from strategic and senior level through to practitioner and end users.
- Proven experience of undertaking data analysis and data management including creating and using databases to collate and analyse information and working with data to produce a wide range of reports for the benefit of the portfolio.
- Experience of collaborating and engaging with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders to support informed decisions and solutions.
- Proven experience in report writing, delivering presentations in a clear, articulate way that ensures the audience understands complex messages in a simple way
- Good interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Project and time management skills with the ability to deliver to tight deadlines and to manage and prioritise workload to reflect changing demands and resources.
- Ability to take a strategic view and see the consequences of a range of actions, ensuring that team members and the programme team are advised accordingly.
- Good numerical, analytical and creative skills in order to analyse complex issues and to provide innovative, effective and achievable solutions; and to undertake research and provide concise summaries of findings.
- Advanced user of MS Excel and database systems.
- Strong IT literacy skills (Office 365 ideally).
- An understanding of how the collection and management of data can be used to improve organisational performance and service delivery.
- Experience of operating in a project management environment and supporting projects from the initiation stage through to completion and close.
- Knowledge of project management tools and methodology and an understanding of how to apply them appropriately.