Are you a people-person that loves working collaboratively to create change? Want to work with the largest coalition of groups tackling the climate and nature crises ahead of the UN climate talks this year? This is the job for you.
Start date: ASAP
Closing date: 10am 22nd April, though we may interview exceptional candidates sooner
Interviews: W/c 26th April
ABOUT THE CLIMATE COALITION
The Climate Coalition is the UK’s biggest group of people dedicated to action on climate change with a combined supporter base of more than 22 million people. We encompass over 100 organisations spanning nature, environment, international development, faith, community and women’s groups – from the National Trust to the NUS, WWF to the Women’s Institute, the RSPB to Islamic Relief.
ABOUT THIS YEAR AND THE GREAT BIG GREEN WEEK
This year, we in the UK have a huge opportunity to raise the ambition of plans to tackle climate change at home and abroad. The UK is hosting a major UN climate summit, known as COP26, in Glasgow this November. This means Parliament and local authorities alike want to be seen as ambitious in tackling climate change.
This September, communities across the country will join together to celebrate what they are doing to tackle climate change, as part of the Great Big Green Week. Ranging from concerts to litter picks; activities will be hosted at the heart of your community by teachers, bus drivers, sport clubs, artists, builders, local groups, places of worship and anyone who cares about climate change.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Overall purpose of the job:
- Using and adapting TCC campaign moments (Great Big Green Week, COP26) as hooks to engage people
- To help strengthen the climate movement by supporting local campaigners to build effective, visible and representative local networks
- To help broaden the climate movement by bringing new organisations and individuals into local climate campaigning, particularly in strategic areas
- Alongside the TCC Secretariat, help to identify and develop grassroots climate leaders, amplifying their work at the local, regional and national level, and identifying opportunities for their personal growth
- Broaden and expand the TCC network of community climate campaigners
OVERARCHING JOB DESCRIPTION
- Lead on community mobilising and organising around key campaign moments (Great Big Green Week, COP26)
- Work with TCC member organisations and their regional staff and volunteers to turbocharge local mobilising and organising around key campaign moments
- Coordinating, supporting and recruiting volunteers in key areas
- Research and build relationships with trusted organisations, channels and voices in target constituencies
- Support local organisers to be effective climate campaigners in their local areas. You will do this by developing effective working relationships and communicating regularly using phone, e-mail, online and other communications tools, and occasional face to face meetings dependent upon the public health context.
- Support local activists to organise local community events and mobilisations as part of national TCC campaigns, and to build networks that last beyond this year
- In consultation with the TCC Secretariat and local network members, support and develop influencing strategies for priority MPs, and support local networks to deliver them.
- Be responsible for administration relating to the programme, maintaining efficient records and generally be self-servicing.
Skills & Experience
- Minimum 2 years experience (in a paid or voluntary capacity) working with, and managing volunteers from a range of backgrounds and locations
- Great interpersonal skills and an effective communicator, able to build impactful and trusting relationships that can inspire volunteers to take action
- Works well as part of a team, but also a self-starter that’s able to take initiative while working with little supervision
- Working knowledge of Slack, Google Suite and other digital work tools
- Experience of campaigning at a local level
- Good understanding of the climate crisis, its causes and impacts
- Experience working in a large coalition with diverse stakeholders