We are looking for a skilled and proactive communications professional to build on a firm foundation, and further develop and implement the organisation’s communications and media strategies, enabling even greater reach of our campaigns and messages. We are looking for someone who can plan and drive a stronger presence in social media channels in order to support our campaigns, fundraising and educational aims, and continue to ensure that the relationship between COVID19 and inequality are high on the national agenda.
We are seeking an exceptionally motivated and organised individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced, high-profile environment. We offer a dynamic, friendly team and a supportive and flexible working environment. The Equality Trust is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in recruitment. We know that organisations with a diverse team perform better for their beneficiaries, and we particularly welcome applications from those who identify as Black, Asian and minoritised ethnic, LGBT+, disabled and older applicants who are under-represented in our staff team.
This post is advertised as full-time (35 hours per week) on a 12 month contract. We are also open to job-share applications or those who would prefer to work 28 hours per week over 4 or 5 days, to be worked flexibly from home/ based in TET’s London office if and when we return to it. Note all staff are currently working remotely until further notice. This post will require some evening and weekend work which can be taken as TOIL.
Inequality is not inevitable, and we are looking for an experienced media and comms professional who is passionate about tackling structural inequalities. Driven, innovative and creative, you will plan, manage and implement a media and communications strategy to raise awareness of the range of issues pertaining to economic and social inequalities and their consequences. Just as inequalities affect us all in various ways, you will be working on a range of issues, including supporting our young equality campaigners, campaigning on equal pay, corporate governance and pay ratios, health inequalities, and supporting our local groups with local media. If you have a desire to make a difference in a field at the top of the news agenda, this is the ideal role for you. You will support the Executive Director in ensuring that inequality, its consequences and policy responses continue to feature regularly in the media and that TET continues to be an authoritative and leading voice on this issue. From opinion pieces to blogs, media commentary to letters to local papers, you will be responsible for day-to-day engagement with the media and will support the development of creative press and social media campaigns to support the organisation’s aims. The role is also responsible for key communications with our network of supporters and local groups, producing a monthly newsletter and media monitoring. This position would suit an applicant with strong written communication, influencing and ‘selling in’ skills, with experience of working within a small team with a strong media output. The individual will also be comfortable producing and/or overseeing communications outputs, such as blogs, our podcast, films and publications.
- Develop, manage and consolidate our press and social media and communications campaigns to promote awareness of social and economic inequalities, The Equality Trust and our vision of a more equal and healthier UK. This includes developing the strategy, planning calendar, identifying new opportunities and trends, taking part in the day-to-day management and monitoring of the organisation’s social media accounts.
- Handle day-to-day media relations, dealing with proactive and reactive opportunities in an efficient and timely manner, ensuring responses maintain the reputation of TET as an expert, evidence-based source of information, providing agenda-leading content and maintaining a consistent message. Build on our credibility and effective working relationships with all levels of media, nurturing existing contacts and creating new ones, maintain good relationships with journalists and other stakeholders.
- Write and pitch compelling press releases, blogs and opinion editorials to promote TET’s campaigns, provide quotes (subject to sign off) and brief spokespeople ahead of interviews.
- Develop and monitor media management tools and systems to support effective reporting systems for coverage and results for evaluation reports.
- Manage TET’s communications channels, produced in-house or externally, including a monthly newsletter, digital content, podcasts, films, campaigns materials and publications.
- Manage our website on a day-to-day basis in terms of content, branding and functionality. Write copy for the website and update content as required and commission content from others in the team. Audit and review existing website content to ensure it is effective and up-to-date.
- Ensure staff and other key stakeholders are kept abreast of media successes as appropriate.
- Work closely with the fundraising and membership team to ensure our communications activity drives supporter retention and growth and drives donations and fundraising objectives.
- Produce and edit short films, podcasts, infographics and strong visuals.
- On call duties shared with the Executive Director.
- Undertake any other responsibilities or duties as requested by the Executive Director.
Traditional Media Management and Strategy
- Proven experience in a media, comms or public relations role, preferably in a Third Sector organisation.
- Proven ability to grasp complex information and convert it into simple and accessible language for a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrable success in devising and delivering national and regional media coverage.
- Previous experience of delivering fundraising and policy-influencing communications.
- Experience of managing media crises.
- Excellent media contacts across editorial, social, economic, or finance news and/or consumer media.
- Experience of member/supporter communications and engagement with a track record of success.
- Experience of using monitoring tools to measure impact and performance and evaluate communications campaigns.
- Experience of consolidating and running successful social media campaigns.
- Experience of planning, managing and evaluating social media activity and campaigns.
Website and Multimedia
- Experience of website content management systems and website development.
- Basic graphic design skills to create digital collateral using Canva
- Experience of running and supporting online events.
- Experience of using digital campaigning or social media to fundraise.
- Experience of making/editing films and podcasts.
Abilities and Skills:
- A creative and strategic media relations professional, proactive with initiative, actively seeking information from internal or external sources as required.
- Excellent proofreading skills with a meticulous eye for detail.
- Ability to deliver to deadlines in a fast-moving environment.
- Excellent presentation and verbal skills with the ability to communicate at a variety of levels.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to present complex issues in a memorable, engaging, succinct and persuasive manner
- Ability to understand and use quantitative and qualitative data as part of media and communications work.
- Ability to master a new brief quickly.
- A demonstrable commitment to the principles that underlie The Equality Trust’s work
- Computer literate with excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Suite.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to persuade, influence and collaborate with a range of internal and external stakeholders, sensitive to their communications needs
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours when needed
- An excellent team player who has previous experience of working as part of a small, busy team with a ‘can do’ attitude.
We recognise that the successful candidate may not have experience of all of the skills above and so we are willing to support training in areas that candidates wish to develop.
How to apply
Please submit the following documents by 9am on the closing date:
- Your CV (not more than 2 pages)
- Your covering letter addressing the person specification AND answering the the questions at the end of the attached pack, using the questions as headings.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.