The Head of Finance reports to the Finance Director and will lead a team of 6 staff, managing the day to day finances of the company, its UK associates and property management contract clients. The Head of Finance carries a high degree of delegated authority for leading the company’s financial affairs. You will play a significant role in the growth and development of the company.
Turnover c £10 million – Ethical Property plus major contracts and partnerships for which this role provides the Finance service.
Your responsibilities will include:
Budgets, Forecasts and reporting
· Maintaining the business planning model for the whole organisation, ensuring it meets the needs of organisation;
· Developing business plans for new properties, contracts and development opportunities;
· Designing, organising and overseeing all aspects of the budget process, and ensuring deadlines are met;
· Overseeing the production of the monthly management accounts pack;
· Reviewing management information with the Finance Director and budget holders;
· Overseeing the production and review of management accounts for Ethical IT LLP (50% owned JV) and Property Management Contracts;
· Presenting financial information including at Board meetings of property management contract clients;
· Leading the financial aspects of the annual rent and service charge review including developing reports and models;
· Supporting and advising managers on budgeting, costs and profitability.
· Reviewing Balance Sheet reconciliations and undertaking regular Balance Sheet reviews with the Finance Director;
· Organising and overseeing the year end close process, liaison with auditors and dealing with all issues arising;
· Overseeing the production and review of statutory accounts for Ethical IT LLP (50% owned JV) and Property Management Contract client bodies;
· Maintaining up to date cash flow forecasts and treasury management;
· Publishing clear timetables and duties and ensuring they are communicated to and understood by the Finance department and other employees;
· Developing financial policies and procedures to meet the changing needs of the Finance department and its internal and external customers;
· Supervision of all day-to-day accounting for the company, associates and property management contracts – purchase ledger, sales ledger, credit control, cash and bank, fixed assets;
· Maintaining and up to date knowledge of relevant accounting standards, VAT and audit requirements.
· Managing and developing the Finance team, ensuring they receive regular supervision, support and training;
· Developing the roles and responsibilities of the Finance team as the company grows;
· Working with the HR team for any recruitment in the team.
· Assimilating and maintaining Super-user level knowledge of the financial software packages in use;
· Being the department expert on the financial system;
· Training non-financial employees in the operation of financial systems.
· Leading the Systems Review Group looking at company-wide systems and making recommendations of improvements and upgrades;
· Attending company-wide events such as the annual staff conference, and training sessions;
· Any other tasks as delegated by the Finance Director in line with the role.
· Working within the company’s procedures and policies;
· Working to improve the company's social and environmental objectives;
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate that they have the following:
Essential knowledge and experience:
· Experience of working as a Head of Finance/Financial Controller;
· Qualified accountant;
· Excellent spreadsheet skills;
· Experience of managing and developing a team;
· Experience of leading finance teams through the year end process;
· Evidence of strong commitment to social and environmental issues and an understanding of what Ethical Property means by its triple bottom line approach;
· Excellent IT skills, including the management and development of financial systems.
Personal competencies and skills
· Collaborative leadership skills with the ability to demonstrate motivation and self-management and with strong team-work skills;
· Able to establish strong credibility and inspire confidence with colleagues and external clients;
· Customer-focussed approach to providing a finance service;
· Thrives on change and understands how to manage a team through a period of change;
· Able to make decisions based on appropriate analysis of the risks and opportunities involved;
· A high level of personal organisation, able to effectively plan the work of the team, and communicate this;
· Excellent communication skills.
Desirable knowledge, skills and experience:
· Knowledge of property finance issues;
· Experience of business planning and financial appraisal;
· Experience gained within a multi-site business.
This is a permanent position with a three-month probationary period. The role benefits include 25 days holiday entitlement pro-rata as well as statutory bank holidays.
We offer a company contribution up to 7% to a pension dependant on scheme choice, a free company bicycle scheme with bicycle maintenance costs, childcare vouchers, season ticket loans, interest free personal loans, as well as other benefits.
Please note, you must be eligible to work in the UK in order to apply for this role. No agencies.