Role: Financial Accountant
Reporting to: Director of Finance and Services
- This role is office based, and will work from our head office in Park Royal (West London). The successful candidate will need to be able to work from the main office at least 2 days a week and as and when required to attend meetings, with occasional travel to other depots.
- We will not consider candidates unless they submit a covering letter with their application
About The Felix Project
The Felix Project is a dynamic London charity that works with food suppliers and charities and schools to reduce food waste and food poverty. We were set up in 2016 by entrepreneur, Justin Byam Shaw.
More than eight million people in the UK struggle to afford to eat every day, while our food industry generates 100,000 tonnes of edible food waste each year.
We rescue good food that cannot be sold and would otherwise go to waste. This is high-quality and nutritious, including a high proportion of fresh fruit and vegetables, baked goods, salads, meat and fish. We collect or receive food from 170 suppliers, including supermarkets, wholesalers, farms, restaurants and delis.
We sort and then deliver this food to charities that cook meals and prepare food parcels for vulnerable people and to primary schools to distribute to children and their families. In 2019 we delivered over 2,700 tonnes of food to more than 310 London frontline charities and primary schools. This is enough food to make over 6.6 million meals.
We have 37 staff, 500 volunteers and a fleet of 22 vans.
At the moment we have 3 main operations: our 2 depot operations at Enfield and Park Royal and our Central London operation. The depots are open during the day and from these we collect, sort, deliver and store surplus food using our own vans completing pre-configured routes. Our Central London operation runs in the evening and does point to point re-distribution directly from food retailers to charities, without the need for depot storage. The Central London operation is fully “green” and uses electric vans and walking and cycling routes to extend our reach.
In October 2020, The Felix Project will be joining forces with FareShare London, with staff and volunteers from FareShare London becoming part of the Felix Family. This exciting partnership means that all current FareShare London volunteers will join us as The Felix Project volunteers, and will involve a transition period as we begin working more closely together and learning from each other. The goal of this partnership is to ensure that we are able to deliver more food to the Londoners who need it most.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Overall responsibility for the accuracy of financial transactions in the accounting software
- Answer finance queries for The Felix Project teams
- Enter financial transactions into the accounting software, including
- Capital assets, including depreciation
- Payroll and pensions, including reconciliation to the payroll records
- All Balance Sheet and reconciliations including daily bank reconciliation
- Accounts receivable, in conjunction with the fundraising staff
- Accounts Payable: approve in accounting software invoices and expenses inputted by the Administrator
- Prepare and manage outgoing weekly payments
- Assist the DoF to comply with all regulatory and statutory requirements
- Prepare quarterly VAT returns [once the charity is VAT registered]
- Corporate tax returns – charity and trading company
- Provide the auditors with information required to complete the returns
- Review the returns prepared by the auditors
- Review Gift Aid returns for accuracy and compliance
- Financial accounts
- Prepare the annual statutory accounts in compliance with SORP for review by DoF
- Prepare working papers required by the auditors
- Restricted funds accounting:
- Identify receipt of and maintain records to show the restriction
- Ensure expenditure for the intended purpose
- Maintain appropriate accounting records
- Provide financial information as necessary for funding applications
Governance and Risk
- Maintain the risk register based on regular Finance Committee review
- Ensure action points raised by the Finance Committee are executed
- Assist the DoF to ensure adequate insurance cover
- Committees – Trustee Board and Finance Committee
- Maintaining a list of current action items from the minutes
- Prepare papers related to areas of responsibility for Trustee Board and Finance Committee for review by DoF
- Support as required to individual Committee members, including answering ad-hoc queries
- Maintain the Trustee and Committee Member induction pack and register new Trustees with regulators as required
- Proactive / Hands on
- Self sufficient
- Focussed on delivery to deadlines and attention to detail
- Good communication skills
Experience and systems required
- Part qualified (final stages) or past finalist (ACCA/ACA preferred) – if PQ need to be currently studying (essential)
- Financial accounting / Statutory reporting / Audit / Tax (essential)
- Microsoft suite – Advanced Excel / PowerPoint and Word (essential)
- Charity (preferred)
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.