Job Title: Financial Controller
Reporting To: Director of Finance and Services
Salary: £50k annual pro- rata
Contract type: Part time – 3.5 days/week - 12 months FTC (potential temp to perm)
About The Felix Project
The Felix Project is London's biggest food redistribution charity and the largest end-to-end food redistribution charity in Europe.
Our vision is a London where no one goes hungry and good food is never wasted.
We rescue surplus food from businesses, supermarkets, restaurants and farms. This food is nutritious, in-date, and safe and includes a high proportion of fresh vegetables, fruit, meat and fish. If we did not rescue this food, it would be at risk of going to waste. Instead, we deliver it free of charge to London charities, schools, food banks, COVID food hubs and other organisations serving people in need. Our food is a vital lifeline for children and families, people on low incomes, people who have lost their jobs, the homeless, refugees, domestic abuse survivors, the elderly and keyworkers.
We are a very ambitious and dynamic young charity and we haven’t stopped growing since we were founded in 2016 in memory of Felix Byam Shaw, by his father, entrepreneur Justin Byam Shaw. We recently ran a very high-profile media campaign with the Evening Standard and Independent, raising £10million to feed London. We have celebrity endorsement from Reece James, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Jack Whitehall, Stephen Fry, James May and many others.
Last year we delivered enough food for 21.1 million meals to help people in need. We have continuing major growth plans for the next 4 years, with a target of delivering enough food for 100 million meals by 2024. Because nearly all the food we receive is donated by the food industry and volunteers, every £1 of expenditure redistributes £10 worth of food.
Purpose of the Job
The ideal candidate will be a qualified and highly competent leader in financial control and governance as well as keen on bringing continuous improvements in ways of working and extremely well-organised. You will be passionate about making a difference and obsessive about ensuring we are a financially secure, responsible and sustainable charity, that can continue to pride itself on remaining entrepreneurial, agile and able to adapt to an ever-changing landscape. You will also lead a small team of direct reports who will carry out the day-to-day finance and services processes and administration.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Oversee all company accounts: Charity and Trading company
- Lead and manage financial and services staff
- Motivate and lead finance team members by clarifying roles and providing helpful feedback
- Suggest updates and improvements for accounting systems, including how we process payroll information, invoicing, processing expenses (staff and volunteers) and raise invoices
- Ensure that all financial transactions are properly recorded, filed, and reported
- Establish and implement financial reporting systems to comply with government regulations and legislation
- Work closely with the Fundraising team, board members and 3rd party tax experts to optimise our VAT, CT and gift aid position across the Charity and Trading company
- Support the Management Accountant in the completion of cash flow forecast by tracking transactions and regularly reviewing internal reports
- Collaborate with auditors to complete year end audit and statutory accounts.
- Work with the Company Secretary to coordinate the completion of the Annual report
- Ensure all finance policies and procedures are in place and up to date
- Develop budgets and financial plans for the company based on research and data reports
- Examine all financial reports and data closely to check for discrepancies
- Create systems to prevent errors in data collection and calculations
- Report to the Director of Finance and Services with timely and accurate financial information
- Assist the Director of Finance and Services in presenting reports to the senior management team, trustees and board members.
The Felix Project recognises the positive value of diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination. We welcome and encourage job applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds.
We particularly welcome applications from those of a black and minority ethnic (BAME) background, as BAME people are currently under-represented within The Felix Project.
The candidate will have worked in the Charity sector for at least 5 years and be an established Financial Controller with a very good understanding of the Charity regulatory, accounting and tax framework.
Essential skills/knowledge relevant to this role
- Strong leadership
- Excellent people management experience and success in driving performance and accountability
- Proven track record in driving efficiency, improvement and/or supporting growth
- Proactive / Hands on
- Self sufficient
- Ability to work within a team of varied individuals with a positive attitude
- Meticulous organisation skills and attention to detail
- Good communication skills
Desirable skills/knowledge relevant to this role
- Xero (preferred)
- Microsoft suite – Advanced excel / PowerPoint and word
- Qualified (ACCA/ACA)
- Charity & Trading company (essential)
- VAT & CT & Gift Aid (essential)
- Understanding of data privacy standards
- Flexibility in terms of working hours
What you’ll get in return
You will be working in an upbeat, innovative charity with strong vision, ambition and a fantastic culture and leadership team. This role at our located in our Park Royal (W3 0RU) depot, but you may be asked to occasionally work in one of our other locations as part of your duties. The salary is £50,000 per annum (pro-rata), 25 days annual leave + bank holidays.
Contract Type: 12-month FTC
Hours: 3.5 days/week (3 to 4 days depending on workload)
Applications close: 18/06/2021
First interviews: wk commencing 21/06/2021
(if applicable) Second interviews: tba