FILE is a grant-making Foundation, with entities in both the UK and Amsterdam, whose charitable object is to promote protection of the environment through law and related advocacy.
FILE has two sets of objectives: the first to encourage philanthropies to join strategies and co-manage funds for climate and biodiversity activities, and the second is to apply these funds to support legal reform and cases, campaigns and advocacy around legal interventions, the research and evidentiary support of law cases, and learning within the community. Whilst FILE is a grant-making institution, it also aims to help build the NGO ecosystem, shape strategy, and make an impact on climate change and the protection of biodiversity.
Job Title: Finance and Operations Assistant
Reports to: Head of Operations
12-month short term contract – possibility of extension
Main purpose and description of the role:
The Operations and Finance Assistant reports to the Head of Operations, but will also work closely with the Finance Business Partner and wider File Team. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting both the operations and finance teams to deliver against business targets in an administrative capacity. The role will extend beyond both of these teams providing administrative support to the wider File team where required. Helping to ensure that both functions operate smoothly. The ideal candidate will be highly organized and detailed. With a passion for learning, and implementing new processes and practices when required, getting a sense of achievement for ensuring that processes run smoothly and to time. They will be happy to work on their own in a remote working environment, and be able to demonstrate that they can work on their own initiative as part of a remote team. They will need to be flexible and happy to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Responsible for HR administration and record-keeping, including preparing paperwork and co-ordinating recruitment, induction and leaver processes.
- Developing a recruitment process, monitoring applications, leads, and sign off processes.
- Act as an IT superuser becoming an expert in IT systems and supporting colleagues to use them effectively.
- Ordering stationery and IT equipment as required.
- Managing health and safety for all employees.
- Ensuring that insurance documents are up to date and compliant.
- Assisting the Head of Operations with maintaining governance policies and organising related training when required to ensure compliance.
- Managing Training and Coaching partners, and organising training when required.
- Managing the relationship with facilities partners, dealing with any issues with regards to the premises, managing contracts with external suppliers
- Supporting the Head of Operations to manage the risk register.
Maintaining and managing the update on the grants excel spreadsheet:
- Grants payment forecast
- Grants pipeline
- Grants data (input for budget)
Assisting in quarterly management packs
- cash flow forecasts
- income and expenditure analysis
Assisting in other various ad hoc tasks:
- admin side of the grantee and donor side Due Diligence (web search/ making sure the DD forms and documents are saved in relevant folders, filling in Know Your Donor)
- assist with data transition to the new Grant Management System
- assist with power point presentations
- Supporting the financial controller with invoice and bank queries. Following up with the wider team on finance queries.
Qualifications & Experience
- Previous experience in a similar role as either an Operations or Finance Assistant, or in another administrative field, is essential.
- High level of attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Excellent time management skills. Excellent telephone manner and confident in a public facing role.
- Able to establish systems, record information and maintain records systematically and confidentially.
- Confident user of IT software, including Microsoft Office Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Confident working with numbers, data and spreadsheets.
- Able to work on own initiative and to tight deadlines.
- Understanding of the non-profit field would be desirable, with understanding of the climate and / or biodiversity landscape particularly useful.
- A team player, who will offer a high degree of flexibility and be able to demonstrate a willingness to learn on the job.
Diversity & Inclusion
File Foundation is committed to challenging inequality and values diversity in all areas of life. We recognise that reflecting that diversity will only ever make our organisation better. We work to ensure an inclusive culture where colleagues feel welcomed and supported to succeed and thrive. We encourage applications from people of all backgrounds, particularly those from under-represented communities.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.