FILE is a grant-making Foundation whose charitable object is to promote protection of the environment through law and related advocacy.
FILE has two sets of objectives: the first to encourage philanthropies to join strategies and co-manage funds for climate and biodiversity activities, and the second is to apply these funds to support legal reform and cases, campaigns and advocacy around legal interventions, the research and evidentiary support of law cases, and learning within the community. Whilst FILE is a grant-making institution, it also aims to help build the NGO ecosystem, shape strategy, and make an impact on climate change and the protection of biodiversity.
Main purpose and description of the role:
The Head of Operations reports to the Director, Global Programmes and Operations, working alongside her and the wider FILE team to build and manage the systems and processes we require for the organization to function effectively. In addition to the management of operations function, the ideal candidate should also have experience in donor compliance and project managing fundraising applications. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated self-starter, who likes working in a fast-paced start-up environment, prepared to get involved in a multi-faceted role.
- Lead on the development of our annual operational plan, ensuring that we are set up to deliver. Monitoring and reporting on our progress. Updating and changing our operational plan in line the strategy as directed by the Executive Team.
- Support the wider FILE team to ensure that they are set up to achieve their goals, by providing support, accountability and resources to teams in order to support the execution of our operational plan. A key priority of the role will be staff engagement, assisting management with supporting the wellbeing, and development of staff, providing necessary training where required and dealing effectively with poor performance when appropriate.
- Develop and inspire our people, supporting the Executive team and line managers with the hiring of new resources when required. Enable the recruitment of the best possible people, with the same values and commitment to the FILE vision.
- Provide our staff with the tools they need to perform, ensuring that we have the best systems in assist with efficient delivery. You will manage our IT systems, management information, database, systems and processes and office management requirements as required. You will take responsibility for rigorously managing our processes and policies, and working with the finance team to select the very best operational partners for FILE.
- Work closely with the Executive and Finance teams in the development of the organisational budgets, making sure that we stay to plan. You will ensure that budget holders can manage their budgets efficiently and confidently, ensuring accountability at all times.
- Overseeing our IT and Data security, and acting as our Data Protection manager to ensure that we are compliant at all times.
- Managing and overseeing all of our internal communications. Putting in place an internal communications structure, to ensure that the File teams are update to date on HR/Finance /Governance and Operations matters.
Governance and compliance.
- Ensure that FILE operates in line with the relevant legislation, working with the team to manage the risks to our organisation, ensuring that the relevant legal advice is sought when necessary. Implementing tools and processes to monitor our adherence to the law and best practice.
- Assume company secretarial responsibilities, ensuring compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements is maintained, whilst enabling the implementation of the decisions of the Board of Directors.
Donor Relations Management
- You will be responsible for maintaining accurate records, for our donor relations, tracking and reporting on all donor related activity, ready to report back to the Board, Executive Team and donors, in compliance with regulatory and donor requirements.
- Working with the Executive Team, act as liaison between File and our key donors, ensuring that an environment of trust is developed that our donors understand exactly how and what their donations are being spent on, in accordance with their wishes.
- Project management of the development of fundraising applications, working with the wider FILE team to obtain inputs and to build a clear and pitch.
Qualifications & Experience
- A university degree in a related field including business management, Human Resources Management or law. A postgraduate degree or certificates in a relevant field (for instance, Fundraising, HRM, Accounting) is desirable.
- Understanding of the non-profit field is required, with understanding of the climate and / or biodiversity landscape desirable.
- You will have previous experience in a head of role in either Finance, HR or Operations.
- You will be an accomplished project manager, and will be able bring teams and people together in order to achieve a goal. Ensuring accountability in a collaborative and supportive manner.
- You are interested in taking on the challenge of a multi-faceted role, and equally excited to act in operational, compliance, HR, and donor relations capacities.
- You will have exceptional organisational skills, with a passion for finding ways to make things work more efficiently.
- You will be process driven: an expert at putting in and developing new systems, with a proven track record on improving efficiency. You will have previous experience of driving accountability through processes in an organisation.
- You are a quick learner, interested in getting stuck in to the job at hand and passionate about delivering to the highest possible standard. You have a love for learning new things and continuously developing your skills set accordingly.
- You should have exceptional verbal, numerical and written communication skills.
- You will have prior experience of managing budgets, and liaising at both a board and executive level.
- You are a team player; you act with integrity and a commitment to our end goal as a foundation at all times. You find it easy to get to know people and build strong relationships with others.
- You are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and act with a high level of integrity at all times.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.