Five Lamps Organisation has made a difference to people’s lives for almost 40 years, and we have exciting plans to continue making a positive impact into the future. Part of our success has been down to excellent governance and being able to spot opportunities as well as plan for and manage risk.
As a locally based charity we are passionate about Teesside and supporting local people with social, financial, economic, and anti-poverty solution. We also operate on a National level providing affordable loans to households who are financially distressed or cant access mainstream credit. Like many charities we continually face challenges as we try to meet our objectives with restricted resources. We have a track record of dealing with these head on. Our risks are varied but managing them proactively and effectively not only ensures we survive but can lead to new opportunities to help us thrive.
Our new ARC Chair will play a lead role in this; working with the Group Chief Executive and Board to oversee both our risk appetite and management of risks as well as providing a robust challenge to the organisation to maintain and strengthen our resilience.
If you share our passion for inclusion and healthy communities, you have a genuine interest in what we do and you like things to be done right, this is a brilliant opportunity to give something back and help us continue to succeed. Our ideal candidate will have a background in either finance, risk management or audit and preferably have experience of working in or supporting a charitable organisation.
We know being a volunteer is a big commitment which is why the majority of our meetings are held virtually. Typically the Committee meets 4 times per year. The Trustees Board also meets once a quarter. There are two strategy events each year which we are aiming to be in person. All reasonable expenses are paid.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter by 21st August 2022. Interviews will be held on 24th August 2022 and / or 22nd September 2022.
** We will shortly be advertising for new Trustees. If this advert has caught your eye and you’re interested in becoming a Trustee only, please express an interest by contacting Five Lamps and ask to speak with HR **
A little bit more about us:
- We deliver more than 3000 hours of domiciliary home care through Five Lamps Homecare, supporting people to remain independent in their own homes and have a recent Good status inspection from the Care Quality Commission (CQC)
- We deliver a recognised home from hospital support service supporting people leaving North Tees hospital and needing support.
- We disbursed almost 3,000 loans worth £2m in 21/22 saving financially distressed families approximately £720k in interest.
- We have plans to disburse a further £4-5 million every year for at least the next 3 years, reaching up to more than 21,000 households who need financial support.
- We have a £5m partnership with 8 social investment funders to deliver financial inclusion.
- We have re-opened our iconic Youthy Building after the pandemic. This provides invaluable youth engagement activities and support including dedicated sessions for young people with physical or learning difficulties.
- We deliver school holiday activities and run programmes to tackle holiday hunger
- We provide employment and small business advice supporting people out of long term employment to set up their own business.
- We are a large local employer, employing more than 130 colleagues.
- Our Head Office is based at Eldon Street, Thornaby : we have recently bought the building and demonstrated our commitment to the local area.