Job Title: Fundraising Development Officer
Job Category: Fundraising, Trust, Major Donor, Corporate
Fundraising Development Officer
The Frozen Ark project
The Frozen Ark Project seeks an outstanding individual for the exciting new position of Fundraising Development Officer. The post holder will play a pivotal role within the project and will work in close partnership with the Frozen Ark Interim Director and Project officer and report back to the board of Trustees, in addition to liaising with a wide range of external organisations. The Frozen Ark is a registered charity based at the University of Nottingham, whose mission is to safeguard the genetic material of animal species facing extinction for the benefit of conservation and for future generations, by providing infrastructure, expertise, partnership and coordination for endangered animal biobanking. The main focus of the role is to raise significant funds, which are vital to the continued functioning of the charity, and to help the project reach its proposed targets. Applicants should have demonstrable track record in trust/foundation, major donor and/or corporate fundraising, a general understanding of science and research, and good writing, communication and interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate will also be passionate about the project and its goals and eager to investigate new fundraising strategies including in collaboration with other team members. Applicants can be required to travel as part of the role, which will include meeting potential donors. Position will be based at the University of Nottingham but there is flexibility for home-based work.
This post is part-time (75% FTE = 21 hours a week), available immediately and fixed term for 18 months. This is a Heritage Lottery Funded post.
Salary: £23,751 (total for the 18 month period)
Date post advertised: 19/11.2018
Closing date: 19/12/2018
Interview Date: To be arranged
Start Date: Early January
The Frozen Ark Project reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
The Frozen Ark Project is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity. Our inclusive environment welcomes applications from talented people from diverse backgrounds.
Please see below for the full job description and person specification.
To carry out Trust, Foundation, Major Donor and/or Corporate Fundraising on behalf of the Frozen Ark to secure significant income in support of the charity's strategic priorities, and by providing advice, guidance and support, and leading projects within this area. This is a new and challenging role and is suited to an experienced development professional with a demonstrable fundraising track record.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the Frozen Ark Interim Director and Project Officer to develop and establish a strategy for fundraising and provide recommendations whenever necessary in order to maximise income, resource, and profile of the Frozen Ark
- Identify, cultivate and develop relationships with trusts and foundations funding bodies whose criteria match the charity's aims and activities, as well as with major individual and corporate donors
- Plan and record meetings with potential donors (trusts, foundations, individuals and corporations).
- Create and maintain a database of local and international trust, foundation, major and corporate donors, as well as record and keep all correspondence
- Regularly monitor trusts and foundations websites and look for new calls for proposals
- Inform the other team members about suitable calls for proposals in relation to ongoing activities of the organisation and its set goals
- Write and maintain/update detailed proposals to trusts and foundations funding bodies in consultation with all internally involved parties
- Make direct applications to trusts, foundations, major and corporate donors for financial support on behalf of the Frozen Ark and for defined development priorities
- Manage relations with donors to ensure that they remain engaged including regular reportage and accountability for trusts, foundations, major and corporate donors
- Maintain relationships with all donors in order to create opportunities for future support
- To work effectively and creatively as part of a new team and to provide support to colleagues when required
- Ensure that an understanding of the importance of confidentiality is applied when undertaking all duties
- Abide by Frozen Ark policies on Health and Safety and Equality and Diversity
- Perform other duties occasionally which are not included above, but which will be consistent with the role
Essential Criteria (maximum of 10)
Qualifications and Education
- Degree/NVQ 6 or equivalent Professional membership/experience
- Proven track record of successful and relevant Trust, Foundation, Major Donor and/or Corporate fundraising in an educational or charitable environment
- Able to demonstrate experience of working both independently and collaboratively with colleagues to maximise funding opportunities
- Able to demonstrate strong organisational and prioritisation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, proven ability to convey information which may require careful explanation or interpretation in a clear and accurate manner. Includes the requisite accuracy and attention to detail
- Evidence of ability to be motivated and self-motivate to work unsupervised to deadlines, planning and setting priorities for own work and that of others, and monitoring progress
- A high level of general IT competence including an excellent working knowledge of the Microsoft Office package
- Willingness to travel (mostly UK) to meet with potential donors
- The ability to display an understanding of a project’s long term vision, direction and strategy, achieving goals that contribute to a project’s success.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and work well under pressure displaying a flexible and adaptable approach.
Desirable Criteria (if appropriate)
- Good networking and influencing skills
- Experience of working in a Higher Education environment
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.