The Furniture Makers’ Company is the City of London livery company and charity for the furnishing industry. It champions and supports the industry by driving excellence, educating for the future, and helping those in need. Formed as a guild in 1952, established as a livery company of the City of London in 1963, and granted a Royal Charter in 2013, the Furniture Makers’ Company has a long colourful history.
We are recruiting for a self-motivated bookkeeper to administer the day to day accounts of The Furniture Makers’ Company and its subsidiaries so as to ensure the finances are effectively managed and accurate and timely information is available for those who require it. While providing support and advice to the Financial Controller, Chief Executive and Treasurer.
We are looking for an organised and experienced bookkeeper who has exemplary skills and whose career to date demonstrates proven success. Do you want to be part of a small close-knit team, working for a forward looking charity and modern livery company?
What are the skills and experience required?
- A recognised bookkeeping or accountancy qualification (AAT, IAB or equivalent to Level 4 Diploma in Advanced Bookkeeping and Accounting or similar)
- At least 5 years of general bookkeeping experience
- A team player able to work in a small team and be prepared to help in a wide variety of tasks outside the formal job description: enthusiasm and willingness to learn are essential.
- Dependable and reliable: able to produce consistently high quality and quantity of work under pressure.
- An ability to work autonomously with good personal organisation and presentation; first class numeracy skills
- Good prioritisation to reach decisions quickly and effectively with an excellent eye for detail
- Good IT skills with experience of SAGE Line 50 Accounts
- Ability to work remotely when required.
Although not a prerequisite experience in one of more of the following sectors would be ideal:
- Charitable organisations
- Commercial Property
What does the job involve?
Bookkeeping and Credit Control
Responsible for all bookkeeping duties using SAGE Line 50 including:
- Recording all financial transactions
- Maintain company ledgers
- Raising sales invoices, maintaining the sales ledger and monitoring debtors.
- Arranging payment of and posting purchase invoices
- Generating VAT returns
- Reconciliations of all control accounts and intercompany accounts
- Submitting Gift Aid claims
- Monitoring cash flow and ensuring there are always sufficient funds for upcoming payments
- Processing welfare payments
- Posting stock usage and reconciling stock
- Update investment schedule and posting journals
- Maintain the fixed asset registers and posting depreciation journals
- Assisting the Financial Controller in the preparation of management accounts
- Preparing information required for the Financial Controller for audit
- Providing administrative and clerical support as needed
- Additional bookkeeping duties as designated by management
- Maintaining petty cash
Payroll and Pensions
- Running the monthly payroll using SAGE 50 Payroll
- Making full payment submissions to HMRC
- Preparing and submitting P11ds
- Making necessary payments to HMRC in a timely manner
- Submit monthly pension contributions and ensure all payments are made across to the various funds.
Eudonet (CRM system)
- Export and import of sales transactions from eudonet
- Reconciling Sage/ Eudonet
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.