The Gaia Foundation (Gaia) has nearly 35 years’ experience working to revive bio-cultural diversity, regenerate healthy ecosystems and strengthen climate change resilience. We host an exciting programme for seed sovereignty in the UK and Ireland, and work closely with partner organisations, indigenous communities and Earth defenders globally, especially in Africa and South America. For more information we recommend you visit our website.
The position of Finance Assistant is key to Gaia’s small team. We are looking for an enthusiastic person to work directly with the Finance Manager, carrying out a wide range of financial tasks and procedures. The role requires someone with at least 5 years experience in a finance role, who loves figures and bookkeeping. Daily accounting and processing of payments and payroll are among the financial tasks.
This position requires a person who is accustomed to working from home, though initial handover and training will take place in our NW3 London office. Gaia operates a non-discriminatory employment policy, and we welcome all applicants no matter age, gender or ethnicity. We are looking for someone who is self-motivated, team-spirited and has an eagle-eye for financial detail. See more about the role of Finance Assistant.
The ideal candidate will be ready to start on 1st July 2020. We offer a fixed-term contract – it covers a team members’ maternity leave until February 2021, with a view to continuing afterwards. The Finance Assistant will report directly to the Finance Manager.
If you are interested in joining the Gaia team and have the relevant skills, experience and enthusiasm for this post, we ask that you please:
- Head over to our website.
- Complete the Gaia Job Application Form.
- Send the form and your CV to the email address listed on our website.
- Put “Finance Assistant” in the subject line, and ensure it reaches us before 14th June.
Deadline for applications Sunday 14th June
Interview Dates 17th- 19th June (times to be arranged)
More about the role of Finance Assistant
To support the Finance Manager with bookkeeping requirements, budget assistance, other finance tasks such as gathering quotes, and general clerical support.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Day-to-day accounting using SAGE software and maintain financial records and filing systems (including digital filling).
- Processing of invoices and claims ensuring the coding, authorisation and payment details are correct and initiate payments using internet banking.
- Monthly financial controls and bank reconciliations.
- Managing petty cash and credit card payments.
- Assisting with the monthly payroll process.
- Assisting with production of monthly management accounts and donor reports.
- Reconciliation of grants, ensuring that supporting documents are received from partners.
- Gathering quotes and estimates for project budgets.
- Ensuring that financial controls operate in line with Gaia policy and procedure.
- Processing and monitoring Gift Aid claims.
- Provide support for and respond to enquiries from staff and overseas partners as necessary regarding financial administration, budget monitoring and other financial matters.
- Assisting with the annual audit process.
- Some general clerical duties, such as liaison with suppliers, donors, partners and bankers.
Required experience & desireable skills:
This position requires a person with at least 5-year experience in similar role, and with a bookkeeping qualification (AAT, ICB or other recognized qualification).
The successful applicant will be highly numerate and with proven experience in using SAGE accounting software; and proficient in managing a purchase ledger, internet banking and petty cash systems. Prior knowledge of charity fund accounting, donor reporting and of internet banking systems (HSBCnet, Triodos, American Express) will be an advantage.
We are looking for a person with a logical, systematic approach to work, who pays great attention to detail, and who is keen to use their skills to support others working on ecological, social and climate justice issues. The position will suit someone who is self-motivated, well-organised, and is accustomed to working from home. Our ideal candidate is used to working from home but can reach our NW3 office as needed such as monthly team meetings. As a small remote-working team we need someone who can cope with varying workloads, who remains calm despite deadlines. Familiarity with the remote-working systems we currently use (Microsoft Office 365, zoom, jitsi) will be useful. Willingness to provide support out of hours, if required, will be appreciated.
Terms and conditions:
The Finance Assistant is a fixed term part-time (14 hours per week) position. Gaia operates a six-month probationary period. Annual leave is 25 days plus public holidays (pro rata for part-time).
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.