We're recruiting for 7 Training & Behaviour Advisors across 6 Guide Dogs sites; Glasgow, Belfast, Manchester, Nottingham, Redbridge or St Albans, and another in the Southwest (Bristol, Exeter, Reading, Cardiff or Southampton). Our TBAs help people with sight loss to live the life they choose by facilitating and supporting the roll out and maintenance of Guide Dogs’ Standardised training for our canine roles.
With support from the regional Training and Behaviour Consultant, the TBA provides expert training and behaviour advice and practical support to staff, clients and volunteers responsible for handling, socialising and training puppies and dogs.
This role is 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week, with 26 days paid holiday (excluding bank holidays) a year.
We offer a generous pension scheme, life assurance and enhanced pay for parenting and sickness leave. In addition, we provide an Employee Assistance Programme, flexible benefits package and discounts and cashback scheme to care for our people.
More details about this role, the Organisation and the recruitment process can be found in the attached candidate pack and job description.
We reserve the right to close adverts earlier than the closing date.
Guide Dogs welcomes applications from all sections of the community and actively encourages diversity to maximise achievements, creativity and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment, regardless of age, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, disability or nationality. We encourage applications from people with disabilities as they are currently under-represented in the organisation and guarantee an invitation to interview for all applicants with disabilities who demonstrate, within their application form, sufficient evidence to meet the essential criteria for the job.
Guide Dogs is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all children, young people and adults at risk of harm with whom we work. We expect all our employees and volunteers to fully share this commitment.
To be able to fulfil this role, the skills and experience we are looking for in a potential candidate include;
- Accredited qualification in animal behaviour and/or training, or equivalent experience.
- Membership to relevant bodies associated with the animal training and behaviour modification field.
- Experience of coaching and training individuals and groups of people in practical skills and theoretical knowledge.
- Experience of working with a wide variety of animals with varied temperaments and needs.
- A working knowledge of animal ethology, behaviour, learning theory, animal ethics and positive reinforcement training techniques.
- Understanding of people training and coaching theory models.
- Experience working with volunteers
- Experience of working with dogs specifically in relation to the shaping of behaviours and task acquisition relevant to working dogs or similar.
- A knowledge of visual impairment and the effects this has on an individual’s mobility and Guide Dogs handling ability
For the complete list of essential and desirable criteria necessary to be successful in this role please see the Person Specification within the Job Description below. The candidate pack contains more information about this role & the recruitment process at Guide Dogs.
If you are successful you will need to provide evidence of your right to work in the UK. We cannot provide sponsorship for this role.
How to apply
Applications need to be made using the online application form, accessed using the ‘apply’ button on our careers site.
Please note that you’ll have to upload a CV as this is a mandatory requirement as part of our Safer Recruitment Policy.
Guide Dogs follow Safer Recruitment practices to ensure we are safeguarding the vulnerable people we work with. As part of this, we require a full work history with any gaps accounted for & a minimum of 2 professional referee details fully covering the past 5 years. If there is not enough space in your application form to provide this information, please ensure you upload additional documentation containing the additional detail.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.