Job Title: Accounts Executive
Reporting to: Head of Finance
Hours: Flexible working is in place between the hours of 08:00 – 19:00 Work outside of these hours may be required in certain circumstances. Core working hours are 10:00 until 16:00, Monday to Friday.
Contract: Full-time (35 hours per week), 4 days per week will be considered for the right candidate
Salary: £22,000 – £23,460
Location: The offices of The House of St Barnabas, 1 Greek Street, W1D 4NQ
Start date: Immediate
“Enter The House of St Barnabas - A public-minded private members’ club in London is demolishing stereotypes” – Dazed and Confused
The House of St Barnabas (HoSB) is a charity pledging to break the cycle of homelessness. We run a social business, our members’ club in our Grade I listed home on Soho Square to help people prosper through paid employment, allowing them to break their cycle of homelessness.
Academy participants and graduates are at the heart of all we do. The journey for trainees currently starts with a 10-week Employment Preparation Programme offering onsite work experience and training throughout the club and charity offices and continues with 12 months of mentoring and ongoing support from our Academy team.
When this programme is in progress, participants take on work experience throughout the House, in the club spaces and in our offices. The HoSB team act as professional buddies to those in office-based roles, working closely with them to provide skills training and to set a positive example of ways of working. This one to one support throughout the programme, and our wider club community of members and supporters, provides a supportive environment in which our participants can challenge themselves to change their lives.
We have exciting plans for the future. We intend to create a new entry point for those already in work but who want to progress from a first job after homelessness to “good work”, with better pay, more regular hours and better prospects for promotion, and we intend to increase provision through our accommodation pathway. To do this we will need to grow our commercial income from both the club and private hire (including a potential building development project). We also want to better use the skills and connections of our community of members and supporters in pursuit of our aims.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, hardworking individual who is near the start of their accounting career with sufficient academic knowledge and ability to pick up information and tasks quickly. You will be excited by working in a dynamic organisation and keen to play your role by contributing to our growing finance team. Attention to detail, outstanding communication skills, a willingness to learn and a commitment to cross team working are essential.
Areas of responsibility
- Posting purchase invoices to the finance accounting system
- Raising routine sales invoices as required
- Assisting with monthly petty cash reconciliations
- Posting bank transactions to the finance accounting system
- Bank mandate and online banking administration
- Assisting with credit card and hospitality card processing
- Performing effective debt recovery
- Assisting in the preparation of Gift Aid claims
- Resolving queries on transactions and coding as required
- Quarterly banking of petty cash donations collected in the building
- Banking Cash and Cheques
- Handling Petty Cash
- Maintaining the finance inbox and sorting incoming mail
- Filing of financial documents
- Assisting with any other duties as appropriate
- All staff should, so far as reasonably practical, maintain satisfactory standards of safety and welfare within their authorised areas of responsibility as defined by the HoSB Health and Safety and Disaster Recovery procedures
- Either in their final year of study towards, or a completed, accounting and finance degree; or AAT qualified
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills, particularly in Excel
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- The ability to absorb new information quickly
- The ability to work unsupervised when appropriate
- Ability to remain positive and actively encourage others to do the same during times of change
- Ability to help promote a positive organisation culture that respects diversity and inclusivity
- Keeps up to date with developments in own area of specialism, including legal changes and best practice
- Use of Xero accounting package or similar
- Some routine financial office experience in a computerised environment would be preferred
What we can do for you – why working for us is so great
HoSB provides the following great benefits:
- The opportunity to make a meaningful impact, playing a part in people’s journey towards lasting paid employment
- 33 days annual leave (including bank holidays)
- Half a day extra leave for your birthday so you can celebrate in style
- Flexible working hours (in line with business needs)
- Free Barista coffee from our club downstairs(!)
- Autoenrollment into our pension scheme
- Access to a whole host of amazing talks gigs and events
- Attending our amazing graduation ceremonies
How to apply
Please send a covering letter outlining why you would be suitable for this role together with your most recent CV. Any applications received without a covering letter will automatically be repudiated.
Closing date: Friday 6th December
Face to face interviews to take place on: Tuesday 10th December
Please note: Due to the high level of interest in our organisation, we are unfortunately only able to acknowledge the individual applicants invited to interview.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.