The House of St Barnabas is a charity pledging to break the cycle of homelessness. We run a social business, our not-for-profit members’ club in our Grade I listed home on Soho Square to help people prosper through paid employment, allowing them to break their cycle of homelessness. We are seeking to re-define the notion of a private members’ club, challenging stereotypes around ideas of exclusivity and creating a community united by a passion for social change.
Academy participants and graduates are at the heart of all we do. The journey for trainees starts with a 12-week Employment Programme offering onsite work experience and training throughout the club and charity offices, and continues with 12 months of mentoring and ongoing support from our Academy team.
When our programme is in progress, participants will be on work experience throughout the House; in the club spaces and in our offices. The HoSB team act as professional buddies to those in office-based roles, working closely with them to provide skills training and to set a positive example of ways of working. This one to one support throughout the programme gives the participant a nurturing environment to learn and flourish.
We are looking for a special individual to join us who is excited to play a part in people’s journey towards lasting paid employment and independence.
We are looking for a fully qualified accountant to head up the finance team. You will be proactive, professional, keen to continually improve standards and enjoy contributing to cross team projects. You will have experience of managing a finance team; the ability to support and deputise for the Finance Director when necessary; strong technical accounting skills and knowledge; excellent written and verbal communication skills and an impressive academic record.
Areas of responsibility:
- Support the Diector to prepare information for the SLT, Finance, Audit and Risk Committee and the Board of Trustees
- Deputise for the Finance Director as required
- Manage the other team members and support any Employment Academy participants as required
- Oversee the preparation and audit of the annual report and accounts and other statutory submissions
- Further develop our professional monthly management accounts pack
- Be responsible for effective treasury management and cashflow forecasting
- Develop and maintain the financial system and ensure effective and efficient finance processes including integrations with the CRM and point of sales (POS) systems
- Be the lead relationship with banks, auditors, HMRC, loan and grant making bodies
- Provide excellent, analytical management reports as required
- Provide advice and support on the development of hospitality processes and information
- Lead or participate in organisational projects as appropriate
- Develop our future VAT strategy to ensure compliance and maximise our tax position
- Automate our payments process
- Oversee the production of VAT returns and Gift Aid claims
- Check that the payroll (outsourced) is accurate
- Experience of managing a finance team and producing monthly accounts in both a charitable and commercial setting
- Experience of managing the final accounts process and working knowledge of Charity SORP
- VAT expertise
- Excellent IT skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Cross-team project management skills and experience
- Fully qualified accountant
- Ability to see the big picture whilst having attention to detail
- Ability to assimilate and analyse new information quickly and accurately
- Ability to predict problems and formulate solutions
- Role model HoSB values and ways of working across HoSB
- Finance experience in a membership-based organisation
- Finance experience in a hospitality organisation
- Experience of Xero accounts package
- Experience of Lightspeed PoS system
- Experience of Salesforce CRM
What we can do for you – why working for us is so great.....
House of St Barnabas provides the following great benefits:
- The opportunity to make a meaningful impact, playing a part in people’s journey towards lasting paid employment
- 33 days annual leave (including bank holidays)
- Half a day extra leave for your birthday so you can celebrate in style
- Flexible working hours (in line with business needs)
- Fun team days out twice a year
- Free Barista coffee from our club downstairs(!)
- Auto-enrolment into our pension scheme
- Access to a whole host of amazing talks gigs and events
- Attending our amazing graduation ceremonies
We look forward to hearing from you!
Please send a covering letter outlining why you would be suitable for this role together with your most recent CV.
First interviews will take place: 16th and 17th August
Start Date: Start of September
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.