Who we are:
The Humane League UK is a charity ending the abuse of animals raised for food by influencing the policies of the world's biggest companies, demanding legislation, and empowering others to take action. We're a mission-driven, energetic team focussed on problem-solving and effective teamwork, and have grown significantly over the last few years. Thanks to our targeted approach, our effectiveness in reducing animal suffering and our efficient use of donations, The Humane League has been named Top Charity by the independent evaluator Animal Charity Evaluators for every rating period.
We are seeking a senior fundraising professional to make their mark in ending the abuse of animals raised for food.
If you would like to learn more about the Head of Development role and want to ask any questions, join us by registering for our webinar, on Thursday 11th February 2021 at 6:30 PM GMT. You can attend this whether you have applied already or are considering the role and want to find out more.
Please click on APPLY to access the link to register for this webinar.
Who you are:
This is an ideal position for an experienced individual to build our development work in the UK with a current predicted annual turnover of nearly £1 million in 2021/22. You will have at least 5 years of experience managing a team and working with large donors and have a detailed understanding of how to manage grants from end to end. A credible influencer and communicator, you have an inclusive, consultative and adaptive approach to decision-making, and a strong alignment to the work of THL UK.
This role requires exceptional interpersonal skills: tactful, diplomatic and confident in managing and developing relationships with a diverse range of donors and volunteers while managing a growing team of fundraisers.
We are looking to speak to a wide range of candidates with diverse backgrounds - #NonGraduatesWelcome
This role reports to the Managing Director and is a full-time, remote position, however, travel to London and the US may be necessary occasionally.
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Live and have the right to work in the UK (we are unable to consider applications from those without the right to work in the UK, and proof will be requested prior to interview)
- Be committed to animal welfare and aligned with the mission of The Humane League
With these attributes:
Ideally, you will have all of the following attributes, but if you have most of them, we would still be keen to hear from you.
- Thought leadership - An informed opinion leader on fundraising and the go-to person for the organisation. A breadth of knowledge to provide guidance on implementing development throughout the organisation.
- Strategic thinking - As the department grows and as we build support for the team you will have the foresight and experience to deliver a strategy to secure the funding we need year on year.
- Management - Builds a team of high-performing staff members, appropriately structures jobs so that staff members can succeed, develops and motivates staff members, and acts from the perspective of an organisational leader that empowers their team.
- Productivity / Time management - Handles a significant volume of work under deadlines and without sacrificing quality. Oversees and structures complex projects, plans backwards and ensures quality end-products are delivered on or ahead of schedule.
- Communicator: You are an exceptional communicator and can adapt to different tones and styles.
- Team player: You enjoy working with people and understand the benefits of collaboration.
How you can make the difference
The key focus of the role will be:
- Developing a 3-year strategy to secure funding
- Ensuring a focus on new opportunities, organising the necessary research to identify
- Continuing to build our donor base to expand our regular monthly income
- Seeking, managing and maximising key major donors, grant-making trusts and foundations. Developing a range of engaging proposals around key aspects of The Humane League UK’s work
- Establishing and managing the Development team as THL UK expands and ensuring delivery of their objectives
Primary duties include:
Developing and implementing a comprehensive annual fundraising plan and timeline to include:
Major gifts program (40%)
- Analyse prospects, oversee cultivation and solicitation
- Write proposals based on organisational needs and donors’ interests
- Prepare regular updates and facilitate frequent communication with major donors
- Attends meetings to develop contacts and maintain relationships with major donors
Effective Altruism Grants, Charitable Trusts & Corporate Foundations (25%)
- Attend Effective Altruism events, liaise with the community and manage funding opportunities & reports
- Research prospects, write proposals & reports
- Relationship management and stewardship of funders
Strategising and managing a growing team (35%)
- Establish the development program and team in the UK, working closely with the Managing Director
- Manage and lead the Development team to achieve agreed objectives and to encourage the professional development of individual team members
- Delegate responsibilities and sign off fundraising appeals, peer to peer fundraising, digital marketing and other forms of fundraising as needed
- Set/clarify job expectations and provide regular feedback & guidance
- Support the team in the development of their strategies and techniques for achieving their goals
- Manage Time Off requests for Development team members and sign off expenses
- Travel domestically and internationally to meet with donors as required
Good to Know:
Our employees all work remotely but still enjoy a supportive, collaborative environment. You will have access to a workplace pension, 25 days leave plus Public Holidays, flexible working hours, internet reimbursement, and family-friendly policies. Professional learning and development is actively encouraged.
At The Humane League, animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work and as such, many of our employees are vegan by personal choice. All of our events and workshops offer only vegan meals and refreshments.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive environment and being an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of colour and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all applicants will receive unbiased consideration for employment without discrimination based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. To enable us to monitor our progress, we would be grateful if you would complete the short anonymous survey that will be sent to you after you have completed your application.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding accessibility, contact us and we will endeavour to work with you to make adjustments throughout the process.
We welcome applications from all mission-aligned candidates wherever you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food, so if you don’t feel you match all of the requirements, and are unsure whether you should apply, we would be happy to chat through your concerns.
Don't forget, we are holding a webinar on Thursday 11th February 2021 at 6:30 PM GMT. You can attend this whether you have applied already or are considering the role and want to find out more.
Please click on APPLY to access the link to register for this webinar.
Once your application has been received and reviewed and we want to take it forward, our thorough interview process will follow this route:
- Preliminary informal phone call
- Skills Test (completed remotely)
- Screening Interview (via audio call)
- Second Interview (via video call)
- Final Interview (via video call)
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.