Purpose of the role
This is an exciting role for a committed and passionate individual who wants to make a difference in ending hunger and poverty.
Position: PR Volunteer (unpaid)
Location: The Hunger Project UK office (Chiswick Business Park) or remote working possible
Reports to: Campaigns and Communications Manager
Period: Flexible. Ideally be able to commit to at least a day per week for a minimum of 3 months- Starting ASAP
This is an excellent opportunity to support a small international NGO with our PR and media work and contribute to our work ending hunger.
This position will ideally suit someone who has experience in PR that they wish to grow, or would like to transfer to the charity sector.
About The Hunger Project
The Hunger Project is a global, non-profit, strategic organisation committed to the sustainable end of world hunger. The organisation works in 13,000 communities, reaching 16 million people in Africa, South Asia and Latin America, empowering women living in rural villages to become the agents of their own development and ending hunger in their communities. The Hunger Project works to break the cycle of poverty. We believe hungry people themselves are the key to ending hunger. In partnership, we unleash their vision, commitment and leadership, so they can feed themselves and their families.
The Hunger Project is one of the world’s foremost agencies in developing women’s leadership to end hunger and poverty, with strategies including empowering women in local democracy in India, building a movement of women leaders in Bangladesh, strengthening the capacity of indigenous leaders in Latin America and creating and establishing women-owned and women-run rural banks in Africa.
In the UK, our aim is to support a worldwide movement for the end of hunger in coordination with other Hunger Project offices and our programmes. The UK organisation’s major activities are fundraising for programmes in the developing world, and advocacy about our work to a UK audience.
You will be responsible for:
- Support on PR strategy and outreach to spread the word about The Hunger Project’s work and any campaigns and activities in the UK.
Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge and experience of PR in a professional context
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills in English
- Good interpersonal & organisational skills
- Self-starter with the ability to use own initiative and work independently
- Attention to detail
- An interest in international development and The Hunger Project’s work
How you will benefit from your time at The Hunger Project
- In return for your help, we aim to ensure that your volunteering with The Hunger Project is a fulfilling and worthwhile experience
- As a small charity we are able to offer you the opportunity to become involved in multiple aspects of communications, community-building and fundraising, with plenty of scope for contributing your own ideas.
- £3 lunch allowance and reimbursement of reasonable travel and work-related expenses.
Flexible. Ideally be able to commit at least 1 day a week for a minimum 3 month period.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.