The Landmark Trust is a heritage charity whose objects are to preserve sites of historic or architectural interest and to promote their enjoyment by the general public. We take on historic buildings and carefully and sensitively restore them, by making them available for holidays they can be enjoyed by all both today and for future generations.
We have approximately 250 buildings across the UK with a small number in Europe. We have an annual income of approximately £11 million a year and employ circa 500 staff, the majority of whom are part time and work across the UK.
We're looking for a Financial Controller on a part time basis, working 28 hours a week over four to five days. You'll be primarily based in our beautiful offices in Shottesbrooke, White Waltham with an option to work from home.
This role is responsible for the day to day management of the finance department, both from a financial and management accounts perspective. The role combines supervision of others with personal contribution.
Duties and responsibilities:
- The supervision of the finance team to ensure that day-to-day accounting functions are performed as necessary, all deadlines are met and financial controls are operated. This includes overseeing and authorising transactions for the various purchase and nominal ledgers, payrolls, income and reconciliations.
- The preparation of monthly management accounts for Landmark entities and specific cost centres, ensuring all related reconciliations have been completed, by the end of the following month, liaising with Heads of Department as required to resolve queries.
- Project reports for all of the restoration projects. This will include close liaison with the Historic Estates department to ensure that accurate costings and timings are included.
- Review of the funding information included in the project report with the Fundraising Department to ensure it is accurate, correctly allocated between projects and grant and other fundraising claims are being made promptly.
- Work with the Senior Accountant to prepare the year-end statutory accounts, in accordance with SORP and Companies Act regulations and Charity Commission requirements where applicable, including managing the audit, the relationship with the auditors and overseeing preparation of the audit files. Supervise or manage submission of the statutory accounts to the Charity Commission along with any other reporting requirements after Trustee approval. At the time of writing the Senior Accountant takes the lead on Landmark statutory reporting and the job holder Lundy reporting.
- Lead the preparation and presentation of the annual budget and, with the support of the Director and COO, obtain Trustees’ approval.
- Work closely with the Historic Estates department to help them forecast and control in particular our restoration projects (£2m a year spend and growing) and provide the necessary financial information for grant applications by the Fundraising department.
- Provide financial support, analysis and guidance for the management of Lundy.
- Undertake careful treasury management, liaise with Landmark’s bankers regarding banking and financing matters and liaise with Audit Committee on any review and implementation of cash and investment policy.
- Undertake appropriate and legal measures to maximise tax recovery and optimise compliance risk particularly in regard to VAT and to take the lead on Risk Management.
- In liaison with the HR Manager, manage the Landmark Trust’s pension scheme and, associated benefits (Death in Service, BUPA, fleet, etc) including P60 reporting.
- Manage the Landmark Trust’s insurance affairs, liaising with Landmark’s insurance broker and administering the insurance policies and the annual renewal cost-effectively.
In return our benefits package includes, pension scheme, 25 days leave a year, and the opportunity to work in our office, based in the beautiful countryside of Shottesbrooke.
For more information on this role and The Landmark Trust please see our website
Please attach your cv and covering letter.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, so you are encouraged to apply early.
Relevant candidates may be asked to complete an application form at a later stage.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.