We are searching for AN EXCEPTIONAL INDIVIDUAL, experienced in managing the day-to-day aspects of a business/charity. This is a unique and exciting opportunity for the right person with the prospect of developing and growing the role as the Charity evolves.
You must be someone who thrives on responsibility, has an absolute passion to change our world for the better, and someone who will assistour Chair in delivering The Maggie Oliver Foundation (TMOF) strategic plan and organisational objectives.
The role is both a development and operational role and the post holder will be a key part of our small but close knit team. You will be our first employee, and will relish this exciting opportunity to help shape the development and growth of our visionary charity.
You will share responsibility for creating and implementing effective and efficient systems and processes to ensure the development and smooth running of the charity, and you will work very closely with our Support Services Manager to deliver services and strategy to a high standard.
You will act as an ambassador for The Foundation nurturing existing key relationships, but you will also drive progress with the same determination and compassion demonstrated in our operational delivery.
As part of a small team you must demonstrate a roll up your sleeves attitude and be solutions focused in your approach.
This is a rewarding and fast paced role within a growing team, offering significant opportunities for a talented, caring but ambitious individual.
The Maggie Oliver Foundation is underpinned by the passion of its founder to support victims of childhood sexual abuse and to ensure the criminal justice system is fit for purpose in supporting them to achieve the justice they deserve.
We believe being passionate means having the desire to nurture, facilitate and empower survivors to transform the pain of their experience into the power of living fulfilled and successful lives. This is demonstrated through our values:
• Listening to survivors of abuse with empathy, kindness, compassion, honesty, integrity, trust and human decency.
• Provision of support that is consistent and personal – focussed on the needs of the individual.
• Collaborative working with individuals and organisations working towards a similar vision.
Working in a way which is Inclusive of all faiths and backgrounds.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Business Development & Fundraising
1. To work with the Chair to identify and resource opportunities for further growth of TMOF and drive that growth.
2. To take a lead in identifying and applying for potential funding with grant and philanthropic funders.
3. To manage growth and source business development and fundraising opportunities.
4. To assist our Support Services Manager in developing operational processes to be effective, efficient and sustainable for the long term.
5. To build strong relationships with a range of potential funders and partners.
6. To co-ordinate drafting of funding proposals including data collection, statistical analysis and performance information, collaborating with the Operations Manager in order to do so.
7. To develop opportunities to identify and cultivate fundraising opportunities.
8. To keep abreast of and coordinate relevant programmes delivered by TMOF in order to maximise opportunities.
9. To work with our team of volunteers who are central to the day to day work of the Foundation, actively involving and motivating them in developing and implementing fundraising ideas and opportunities .
1. To develop and update annual project plans in line with the Strategic Plan, ensuring clear deadlines and monitoring of progress against milestones.
2. To work closely with the Operations Manager in planning and delivering our strategic plan.
3. To be skilled and effective with the written word, and capable of writing complex reports and media releases where necessary.
4. To coordinate, measure and present data in an accessible format as and when required.
5. To provide support and information to the Chair and Trustees through regular reports and briefings.
6. To create and design questionnaires, surveys and data as required to evidence performance and show why TMOF and our services are needed.
7. To develop effective virtual office systems using technology to ensure minimum administration and maximum efficiency.
8. To work with our IT Trustee to ensure effective IT systems are in place across The Foundation.
9. To liaise with our Policies Trustee to ensure policies, procedures and protocols are in place and compliant with best practice and employment legislation.
10. To help ensure that The Foundation has the right management systems and structures in place to carry out its work effectively, accountably and safely, and that professional standards are met.
11. To support the Trustees in ensuring the charitable purposes of TMOF are followed and that it delivers the charitable benefits set out in our Strategic Plan.
1. To work with the Bid Writing and Finance Trustees to prepare annual budgets and monitor spend throughout the year.
2. To produce financial reports and analyse new business activity.
3. To explore and source opportunities for TMOF to receive funding/equipment available for our charity.
4. To ensure the sound financial management of TMOF budget.
5. To provide financial information to support funding applications/bids.
1. To support the Chair and Trustees to ensure TMOF is a well-run organisation where colleagues feel valued and able to work effectively.
2. To help ensure the structure provides clear lines of accountability and responsibility across the team which foster and maintain effective working relationships for The Foundation.
1. To help ensure that TMOF’s values are lived day-to-day, and the potential for sharing and learning is maximised across the organisation.
2. To ensure that the profile of TMOF is raised at every opportunity and that examples of good practice are recorded and shared with the widest possible audience.
3. To develop and implement an integrated communications and media strategy, raising TMOF presence and profile in an engaging way.
Governance and legal
4. To support the Trustees to ensure The Foundation fulfils its legal, statutory and regulatory responsibilities.
5. To ensure all areas of management and operational policy are compliant with the law, effective and based on best practice – including but not limited to HR policies, privacy, data protection, safeguarding, risk, incident reporting, accounting and regulation.
6. To maintain the organisations risk register and make The Chair andTrustees aware of risks and changes which affect the organisation.
7. Inform and work with the Trustees to mitigate, manage or oversee actions, providing regular reports as required.
1. The post-holder will occasionally need to travel as required.
2. In order to fulfil their duties effectively, the post holder requires a full, clean driving license and access to a vehicle, computer and phone.
3. The hours are flexible and the position is remote, and there is a requirement to sometimes work out of office hours.
4. The post holder will be committed to safeguarding the welfare of vulnerable adults, children and young people and will be required to carry out a DBS check as part of our safer recruitment policy.
Qualifications and experience
Degree level qualification or equivalent experience gained in business and financial administration, and an in depth knowledge of business planning and administration.
Experience of charity bid writing & proven track record of securing funding in a tough financial climate.
Experience of working across sectors and understand the value and uniqueness of the third sector.
Experience of developing partnerships and working collaboratively with other organisations.
Financial acumen including experience of managing budgets and interpreting and analysing financial information.
Implementation planning skills including the ability to use online platforms.
A good understanding of the issues facing survivors of sexual abuse, the criminal justice system and relevant national strategies.
Experience of driving success in the charity sector.
Skills and abilities
First class IT skills, experience of using Microsoft office, knowledge and experience of Customer Relations Management systems and the ability to interrogate and present data are essential.
Understanding of funding streams, public sector commissioning and relationships with voluntary/community sector providers.
Ability to inspire and motivate unpaid staff when required.
Excellent organisational skills, process driven and the ability to think logically and clearly.
Ability to deal with multiple tasks, sensitivities and challenges at the same time, and a track record of driving quality and innovation.
Confident and well presented
Knowledge of data protection legislation, information governance and GDPR.
Excellent all-round communication and influencing skills.
Knowledge and ability to run the back office of a busy charity, ensuring The Foundation is compliant with all regulatory and statutory obligations.
Effectiveness in providing timely business support to the Chair and Trustees.
Ability to work in a solution focused way and to challenge effectively.
Attributes & Strengths
Commitment to the aims and passion statement of TMOF and able to demonstrate that your personal work ethic mirrors the values of TMOF.
A real PASSION about making a difference in the lives of those who have been affected by childhood sexual abuse and a good understanding of the issues facing survivors of sexual violence, the criminal justice system and national strategies and initiatives.
Good understanding of the regulations governing charities.
Warm, approachable, energetic, confident, outgoing, creative, empathetic, determined, ambitious, flexible, resilient, discreet, organised and professional.
A self-starter: someone committed, tough, results-oriented and focused working alone as well as in a team.
Confidence in presenting information and contributing influentially to meetings.
A capacity to be flexible and innovative in the changing circumstances of a small but wide-reaching charity.
Personal drive, energy, integrity, adaptability, commitment and responsibility.
Commitment to support TMOF passion statement and core values.
Flexible working, full driving licence and access to a car, laptop and phone.
You are able to obtain a DBS certification upon appointment.
Demonstrate the ability to effectively work with people regardless of their ethnic, cultural, social backgrounds, their gender, age, religious belief, disability and sexual orientation.
Demonstrate a good understanding of the culture and socio-economic challenges facing the UK, a passion for the power of networks and community, and can relate to and build relationships with people from all backgrounds.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.