Our empathetic and impartial Support Volunteers use their excellent listening and interpersonal skills to provide support to people with MS, their family, friends and carers.
We’re the MS Society – a community of people living with MS, scientists, campaigners, listeners, organisers, ambassadors and fundraisers. Our volunteers are a key part of achieving our goals and their support is vital. Join us.
About this opportunity
We are looking to recruit a Support Volunteer for the Tamworth and Lichfield Group. Tamworth and Lichfield is a well established Group of welcoming volunteers. They have two social meetings a week, exercise and information opportunities. As a Support Volunteer, you will be providing support to people with MS, their family, friends and carers.
- Informing people about health, care, benefits and other relevant services in the area
- Assisting people who require help to complete grant applications and helping to collate supporting paperwork
- Offering support to attend a social activity for the first time
- Reducing isolation by visiting hospitals or residential settings
- Helping the Lead Support Volunteer collate local services signposting lists
- Connecting people to other sources of help such as peer networks and social events
- Promoting our publications or web based services
- Signposting people to up to date information about services either from external sources or local groups
- Supporting the group's shared responsibility for designing and delivering services in line with our principles of quality service delivery so that they are safe, effective and have a positive impact on those using them
- Referring any in-depth support needs to our national Helpline
This is a great opportunity to gain experience within a large charity and develop your existing skills and learn new ones. We need you to get involved and help make positive changes to the lives of people affected by MS.
You’ll have an interest in the MS Society and the work that we do, as well as the enthusiasm to represent both us and our values locally. You will understand the needs of people affected by MS in your area and be sympathetic to the needs and motivations of volunteers. You’ll have empathetic listening and interpersonal skills.
- Read through the role description carefully
The MS Society is committed to promoting diversity. We can only offer roles to over 18s.