Campaigns Officer (6 Month Contract)
Are you an excellent writer with campaigning or communications experience? Do you want to inspire behaviour change in disadvantaged communities across the UK? If so, read on.
The National Literacy Trust is a national charity dedicated to raising literacy levels in the UK. One person in six in the UK has poor literacy skills that impact on every area of their life. A child without good reading, writing and communication skills can’t succeed at school, and as an adult they could be locked out of the job market. Poverty doubles the likelihood that, by the age of five, a child’s literacy skills will be below average.
The early home learning environment is a key focus for our work, as simple actions in the home can strengthen a child’s early language and literacy skills.
We are working in partnership with the Department for Education to deliver Hungry Little Minds, a behaviour change campaign to improve the home learning environment of children in disadvantaged areas. The Department of Education is also funding Small Talk, a programme which aims to increase the amount parents chat, play and read with their children.
We’re looking for a Campaigns Officer to join us on a six month contract and support the delivery of our Hungry Little Minds and Small Talk campaigns.
- Salary of £26,000 pro rata
- Pension (8% employer contribution)
- A generous annual leave allowance totalling 39 days pro rota (including Bank Holidays and office closure between Christmas and New Year)
- Cycle to work scheme
We believe that the ability to communicate is a fundamental right and that society will only be fair when everyone has the reading, writing, speaking and listening skills they need to fulfil their potential.
By working with us, you can help to transform lives through literacy.
In this exciting role, you’ll have the chance to make your mark and make a difference through our behavioural change campaigns. You’ll play an important part in spreading our key messages, raising awareness of our cause and changing hearts and minds regarding literacy in the poorest areas.
As a Campaigns Officer, you’ll deliver campaign activity to improve the home learning environment of children in disadvantaged areas.
Joining our home learning environment team, you will:
- Spread key messages among communities and affect behaviours among target demographics
- Build relationships with local partners, including the media, and manage campaign activities and events
- Support local teams to mobilise and effectively use volunteer teams
- Draft and share press releases
- Develop, execute and evaluate a social media plan to reach target audiences
To join us as a Campaigns Officer, you’ll need:
- Experience of working as a campaigns officer or in a communications role with campaigning responsibilities
- Experience of planning, implementing and evaluating campaigns
- Experience of managing digital and social media accounts and planning and executing digital campaigns
- Experience of using content management systems
- The ability to write for different audiences/contexts
- The ability to work with case studies and beneficiaries to share their story and secure media coverage of their experiences
Other organisations may call this role Media & Communications Officer, Communications Officer, Marketing Officer, Marketing Campaign Officer, Marketing Executive, Campaign Executive, or Campaign Officer.
The closing date for applications is 10am on 28th October 2019.
The National Literacy Trust is committed to being an equal opportunities employer and aims to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, ethnicity or religion.
So, if you’re looking to make a lasting impact as a Campaigns Officer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Working hours: 35 hours per week